Update: This offer for The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN has expired. Learn more about the current offers here.
In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
Earlier I wrote about the increased welcome bonus on the no annual fee Hilton Honors™ Card from American Express, which is offering 75,000 Hilton Honors points after spending $1,000 within the first three months.
As it turns out, this isn’t the only increased bonus, and two of Hilton’s premium cards have fantastic increased welcome bonuses as well.
Huge welcome bonuses on two of Hilton’s other cards
The following cards are offering limited time increased bonuses through June 27, 2018:
- The Hilton Honors Ascend Card is offering a welcome bonus of 100,000 Honors bonus points after spending $3,000 on purchases within the first three months, plus a free weekend night award on your first account anniversary
- The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card is offering a welcome bonus of 125,000 Honors bonus points after spending $5,000 on purchases within the first three months
These are fantastic bonuses. As a point of comparison, both cards previously offered 100,000 points upon completing minimum spend, meaning that the personal version of the card has a free night certificate thrown in on the account anniversary (valid at a hotel retailing for up to 95,000 points per night), while the business version of the card has a bonus of an additional 25,000 points.
The two cards have identical annual fees of $95.
Return on spend
Both cards offer 12x points/9x points/3x points, though the exact bonus categories differ:
- The Hilton Honors Ascend Card offers 12x points per dollar spent with Hilton, 6x points per dollar spent at US restaurants, US supermarkets, and US gas stations, and 3x points per dollar spent on everything else
- The Hilton Honors American Express Business Card offers 12x points per dollar spent with Hilton, 6x points per dollar spent at US gas stations, on wireless phone services with US service providers, on US shipping purchases, at US restaurants, on flights booked directly with airlines or with amextravel.com, and on car rentals booked directly from select car rental companies, and 3x points per dollar spent on everything else
The personal card exclusively offers 6x points at US supermarkets, while the business version of the card exclusively offers 6x points on wireless phone services, shipping purchases, flights booked directly with airlines, and rental car spend.
Both cards offer 6x points at US restaurants
Both cards are identical in this regard:
- You receive Gold status for as long as you have the card
- When you spend $40,000 on the card in a calendar year you receive Hilton Honors Diamond status
Hilton Honors Gold & Diamond members receive complimentary breakfast
Free weekend night certificates
However, the business version of the card exclusively offers a second weekend night reward if you spend $60,000 on eligible purchases on the card in a calendar year.
This creates some nice spend thresholds on the business version of the card, since you get a free weekend night after $15,000 of spend, Diamond status after $40,000 of spend, and another weekend night after $60,000 of spend.
Redeem your free weekend night certificate at the Waldorf Astoria Jerusalem
Priority Pass visits
Both cards offer 10 free visits to Priority Pass lounges per year. Additional passes are $27 per person per visit. However, given how many excellent cards offer Priority Pass memberships with unlimited visits (like The Platinum Card® from American Express and Chase Sapphire Reserve® Card), I don’t personally value this benefit all that much.
Receive 10 free Priority Pass lounge visits with either of these cards
Foreign transaction fees
Both the personal and business versions of the card have no foreign transaction fees.
For those with excellent credit, I find both of these cards to be pretty easy to be approved for. The major restriction is that Amex limits you to five credit cards per person (this excludes charge cards, like The Platinum Card® from American Express, The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN, and The Business Gold Rewards Card from American Express OPEN).
Assuming you’re within that limit you have good odds of approval. One advantage of the Hilton Honors American Express Business Card is that applying for an Amex small business card generally won’t count towards your total as far as the Chase 5/24 rule is concerned.
The Hilton Honors Ascend Card and Hilton Honors American Express Business Card have great new bonuses that are the best we’ve seen on these fairly new cards. If you haven’t had either of these cards before then I’d highly recommend picking up one or both of them. I’d say all things considered the personal version has a slightly more compelling bonus, while the business version is ideal for anyone looking to stay below 5/24.