In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
Lately we’ve seen a lot of promotions offering bonus points for using various express checkout options, like Apple Pay, Chase Pay, and Visa Checkout. Now American Express has come up with a promotion for their Amex Express Checkout program.
Specifically, those with eligible cards can earn two additional Membership Rewards points per dollar spent using Amex Express Checkout at participating merchants through May 17, 2018. Through this promotion you can earn a maximum of 5,000 bonus Membership Rewards points during the promotion period, meaning that this is available for up to $2,500 of spend.
Amex Express Checkout is a way for cardmembers to use their American Express account login credentials to quickly and securely check out with some merchants, rather than having to enter their credit card information every time.
Eligible merchants for this promotion include 1-800-Flowers, Avis, B&H, Boxed, Budget, Cole Haan, Crate & Barrel, Gilt, Grubhub, Neiman Marcus, Newegg, Seamless, Staples, Ticketmaster, and Walmart. As of now this is only available for online purchases, where you should see the Amex Express Checkout option when finalizing your purchase.
Bonus points earned through this promotion should post to your account within 90 days (though in practice I would guess they’ll post much faster than that). Before considering the value of this promotion, I’d note that some of the above merchants qualify for lucrative bonus categories with other cards. For example:
- Avis and Budget qualify as “travel” purchases, and therefore would earn 3x points with the Chase Sapphire Reserve® and Citi ThankYou® Premier Card
- Staples is an office supply store, and earns 5x points with the Ink Business Cash℠ Credit Card
Other than that, though, most of these merchants would usually not qualify for bonus categories. So with this promotion you can earn two additional additional Membership Rewards points per dollar spent, for a minimum of three Membership Rewards points per dollar spent. You can potentially do even better than that:
- The Blue Business℠ Plus Credit Card from American Express offers 2x Membership Rewards points on the first $50,000 spent annually, for a total of 4x Membership Rewards points
- The Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card from American Express offers a 50% points bonus when you make at least 30 transactions per billing cycle, for a total of 1.5x Membership Rewards points per dollar spent, or 3.5x points per dollar spent with this promotion
- The Amex EveryDay® Credit Card from American Express offers a 20% points bonus when you make at least 20 transactions per billing cycle, for a total of 1.2x Membership Rewards points per dollar spent, or 3.2x points per dollar spent with this promotion
Anyway, I wouldn’t go out of my way to make any purchases through this promotion, though if you’re shopping with one of these retailers anyway then you might as well pick up some bonus points.