In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
I’ve written many times about how the IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card is probably the all around most valuable hotel credit card. The card has a $49 annual fee (waived the first year), and in addition to the sign-up bonus it offers several long term perks that more than justify the annual fee, the most valuable of which are:
- An anniversary free night certificate every year, which is valid at virtually any IHG property worldwide, pending availability; given IHG’s global footprint, that should justify the card for just about anyone
- IHG Rewards Club Platinum status for as long as you have the card, which gets you bonus points, room upgrades, and more
- A 10% rebate on points redemptions, for up to 100,000 points back each year
What it boils down to on the most basic level is that you get an anniversary free night certificate valid at virtually any IHG hotel worldwide in exchange for a $49 annual fee. This is such a no brainer, as you can redeem this at all kinds of great Kimpton and InterContinental properties that would cost hundreds of dollars per night. The past three years I’ve used my certificate at InterContinental hotels in London, Hong Kong, and Geneva.
I’ve gone so far as to say that the benefits on this card are almost too good to be true, though there are several credit cards where that’s the case. If you’ve been waiting on applying for the IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card, now is the time to apply. Why? Because it looks like this exact card may no longer be open to new cardmembers starting soon:
- For a while there have been rumors of new IHG cards being introduced (a more basic version and a premium version), and based on what we know, neither of these cards includes an anniversary free night certificate
- The IHG Card has been completely removed from Chase’s website, and the application links that were on Chase’s website no longer work
However, the card links through some other sources, including my referral link, continue to work for now. If you don’t have the card but have been considering it, I think it’s absolutely worth applying ASAP.
Since Chase and IHG aren’t discontinuing their relationship, my guess is that existing cardmembers would continue to receive the same benefits, and just that going forward new cardmembers wouldn’t get these perks anymore.
Getting an anniversary free night certificate every year for just paying a $49 annual fee is an incredible value. If you’ve been waiting to apply for the IHG® Rewards Club Select Credit Card, now is the time to do it.
The sign-up bonus on the card isn’t available to those who currently have the card, or those who have received a new cardmember bonus on the card in the past 24 months. Furthermore, this card isn’t subjected to the 5/24 rule, meaning you can be approved even if you’ve opened five or more new card accounts in the past 24 months.
(Tip of the hat to Doctor Of Credit)