Update: This offer for the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express has expired. Learn more about the current offers here.
In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
At the beginning of the month an increased sign-up bonus was introduced on the Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express. Specifically, through March 28, 2018, the card is offering a bonus of 35,000 Starpoints after spending $7,000 within three months.
We’ve never seen a bigger sign-up bonus on this card, and while 35,000 points might not usually sound like a lot, Starpoints are the single most valuable points currency, in my opinion. Personally I value them at 2.2 cents each, so to me the bonus is worth $770. Anyway, if you’ve been considering applying for this card, you have just a few days remaining before the offer is pulled, and presumably the bonus goes back to 25,000 Starpoints upon completing minimum spend.
This is such a versatile, valuable sign-up bonus, given how many ways you can use Starpoints:
- 35,000 Starpoints can potentially get you more than 15 free nights in a hotel (though that’s for a Category 1 including weekends)
- You can convert 35,000 Starpoints into 105,000 Marriott Rewards points
- You can convert Starpoints into airline miles at a 1:1 ratio, with a 5,000 point bonus for every 20,000 points transferred; upon completing minimum spend you’ll have enough for 52,000 miles in your choice of nearly three dozen programs
Redeem your points for stays at 6,000+ hotels
This card has other great perks that make it worth holding onto, including:
- Two Starpoints per dollar spent at all Marriott family properties, and one Starpoint per dollar spent elsewhere
- Access to Sheraton club lounges when staying at Sheraton properties
- Two elite qualifying stays and five elite qualifying nights towards status annually; between this and the personal card, I have four elite qualifying stays and 10 elite qualifying nights towards status annually
- Free premium internet when staying at SPG hotels
- A Boingo wifi membership, which gets you access to more than a million hotspots around the world for four devices
Sheraton club lounge access with the SPG Business Amex is a fantastic perk
Getting approved for the SPG Business Amex Card
Anecdotally Amex business cards are fairly easy to get approved for, assuming you have excellent credit:
- Applying for Amex business cards doesn’t count towards Chase’s 5/24 limit; that’s because these applications typically aren’t reported on your personal credit report
- If you’re an existing Amex cardmember and apply for another Amex card, your credit won’t initially be pulled; this means that if you get a preliminary denial based on existing information, it won’t ding your credit score
- Among business credit cards, I find that Amex cards are significantly easier to be approved for than Chase or Citi cards
You can typically have at most five American Express credit cards at a time, so that’s the major limit to be aware of. The sign-up bonus on this card also isn’t available to those who currently have this card, or those who have had the card in the past. However, if you only have the personal version of the card (the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express) then you are still eligible for the business version of the card.
We’ve never seen a bigger sign-up bonus on the Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express, so if you’ve been considering the card, you’ll want to apply in the next few days. The card offers a big sign-up bonus with the annual fee waived the first year, and has perks that make it worth holding onto, including elite qualifying stays and nights every year, Sheraton club lounge access, a Boingo subscription, and more.