One of the main goals of the Gulf carriers is to develop the infrastructure of their home countries and put them on the map. One certainly has to wonder where Doha would be without Qatar Airways, or where Dubai would be without Emirates. While these cities are known for being global hubs, the airlines are increasingly making an effort to have you actually visit, rather than just connect.
In May Qatar Airways introduced a new program called +Qatar, whereby passengers traveling on Qatar Airways in all cabins can get a 96 hour Qatar visa at no cost (though in the meantime Qatar has rolled out visa-free entry for 80 nationalities), one free night of hotel, and more.
Originally the program was just supposed to be valid through September 30, 2017, though it was then extended through December 31, 2017. Well, Qatar Airways has now extended this yet again. The Qatar Airways complimentary hotel stopover program is now valid for bookings through December 31, 2017, and for stays through April 30, 2018.
Through this offer you can get one night for free, and pay just $50 for the second night. The type of hotel you’re eligible for depends on the type of fare you book. Economy passengers are eligible for premium hotels (Holiday Inn, Radisson Blu, etc.), while business and first class passengers are eligible for luxury hotels (Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, etc.).
I recently wrote about my experience booking a hotel through this program, which was surprisingly straightforward. This past weekend I had my stay at the Westin Doha using this benefit, and the check-in process was seamless. I was just asked to forward my email confirmation from Qatar Airways and provide my boarding passes, and I was given a free room for my one night stay.
My room at the Westin Doha
Here are the basic terms associated with the +Qatar program:
- Booking validity: 1 May to 31 December 2017.
- Travel validity: 7 May to 30 April 2018. All travel must be completed by 30 April 2018.
- Offer is valid for Qatar Airways tickets with transit in Doha.
- Offer valid for Qatar Airways confirmed ticket holders only.
- Qatar Airways E-ticket number is required to be entered at the payment page. Maximum of one booking is allowed per E-ticket number.
- Offer is available on Qatar Airways flights transiting through Doha during on-ward or return journey. (E.g. London –Doha – Bangkok).
- A minimum transiting time of 12 hours is required to be eligible for this offer.
- Not applicable on codeshare flights.
- Other terms and conditions apply. Please review at the time of booking.
- A valid visa is required to enter the country. Nationals from a total of 80 countries can now take advantage of visa-free entry into Qatar. Entry into Qatar will be at the discretion of the immigration authorities. Discover Qatar is not responsible for the decision taken by the immigration authorities.
Museum of Islamic Art, Doha
It’s nice to see Qatar extend the +Qatar program yet again. The Westin I stayed at was great, and when you also add in the new visa-free entry for nationals of 80 countries, it’s easier than ever to plan a stopover in Doha.
(Tip of the hat to YHBU)