Update: This offer for the Citi Prestige® Card has expired. Learn more about the current offers here.
In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
The Etihad Guest program is offering a global 25% bonus offer right now, where you receive a 25% bonus when you convert points from partner programs to Etihad Guest.
The bonus is valid for transfers from over a dozen partners, the most useful of which is Citi ThankYou, in my opinion.
For what it’s worth, we saw a similar offer late last year from Etihad, though haven’t seen one this year yet. What we did see is a 30% transfer bonus from Amex Membership Rewards to Etihad Guest until a couple of weeks ago, as Amex is Etihad’s newest transfer partner.
I value Citi and Amex points roughly the same, though I know some people value Amex points more than Citi points, so may prefer this offer.
The terms of the promotion are as follows:
- The offer is valid for all Points to Miles conversions made between 1 July and 31 July both days inclusive.
- Participating points conversion partners: Accor Hotels, ADCB, Radisson Blu, Citibank, Emirates Islamic Bank, Heathrow Rewards, Hilton Honors, Hyatt, IHG, Joyalukkas, Marriott Rewards, NBAD, Shangri-La.
- Non participating points conversion partners: HSBC, Etisalat Rewards, American Express Membership Rewards (All regions), Starwood StarPoints and Flybuys Rewards
- Once the Miles transfer request in initiated it cannot be reversed.
- A valid Etihad Guest membership number is required to successfully perform the conversion. Etihad Guest member will be responsible for quoting the correct Etihad Guest membership number to the participating conversion partners for the conversion activity.
- The promotion is applicable for any member who converts their points from a qualifying Partner loyalty programme to Etihad Guest Miles. The eligibility of the bonus miles for a specific member will be done based on the validity of the promotion and the date of conversion provided by the partner for that respective member.
- Base Etihad Guest Miles converted by the member will be awarded as per the applicable conversion ratios of each respective partner. Bonus Etihad Guest Miles earned during this promotion will reflect in the member’s Etihad Guest membership account within 15 days of the end date of the promotion.
- If an Etihad Guest member holds credit cards and/or Hotel loyalty programme cards of different banks and hotels and converts the points to Etihad Guest Miles under this promotion, then the number of Bonus Guest Miles he/she will earn will reflect separately in the members account for each partner.
- Bonus Etihad Guest Miles will not be calculated on retroactive basis under any circumstances i.e. credit card/ hotel reward points converted to Etihad Guest Miles and posted into the membership account during the promotion period but for which the conversion request was placed outside the promotion period will not qualify for the bonus miles promotion.
- Participation under this promotion is purely voluntary for the members.
- This offer is subject to the Terms & Conditions of the Etihad Guest Programme. Terms and conditions governing the existing Conversion partners will apply. The above promotion construct is valid only for the all Points Conversion Partners which fall under the Points Conversion programme and governed by the conversion ratios and minimum thresholds applicable for these respective partners.
- This offer cannot be clubbed with any other conversion offer.
- Etihad Guest reserves the right to withdraw or cancel the promotion or modify or alter the terms and conditions of such promotion at any time. The decision of Etihad Guest will be final and binding under this promotion and no disputes will be entertained in this regard.
Transferring Citi ThankYou points to Etihad Guest
Chances are that the transfer program people will find most valuable is Citi, given that Etihad Guest is a Citi ThankYou transfer partner (this is the points currency you accrue on the Citi Prestige® Card and the Citi ThankYou® Premier Card).
Ordinarily Citi ThankYou points would convert to Etihad Guest at a 1:1 ratio, so under this promotion you’d receive 1.25 Etihad Guest miles per ThankYou point. This transfer bonus is a bit backwards compared to what we might be used to. Typically when there’s a transfer bonus from a transferable points currency it shows up when you make the transfer request. In this case, the bonus is on Etihad’s end, so you’d receive the bonus after you make the points transfer.
When you get to the Citi ThankYou Rewards website you’ll see the usual transfer rate of 1,000 ThankYou Rewards points per 1,000 Etihad Guest miles. However the 25% bonus will post to your Etihad Guest account within 15 days of the end of the promotion (though I suspect in practice they’ll post faster).
Best uses of Etihad Guest miles?
As far as non-US airlines go, Etihad Guest actually has fairly reasonable redemption rates. The program had a devaluation in June of last year, but there are still some good values to be had. Etihad has a roughly distance based award chart, so your best way to look up prices is to just go to the Etihad award search tool and look up what they’re charging.
Just to give a few examples of business & first class redemption rates for potentially useful routes:
- New York to Abu Dhabi — 88,391 miles in business class, 117,560 miles in first class
- London to Abu Dhabi — 65,964 miles in business class, 87,732 miles in first class
- Los Angeles to Abu Dhabi — 108,076 miles in business class, 143,741 miles in first class
American AAdvantage used to be the best way to redeem for Etihad premium cabin awards, but since their devaluation, Etihad Guest miles are the best option in many cases.
Also keep in mind that redeeming Etihad Guest miles on partner airlines can represent a great value.
For example, Etihad Guest miles can efficiently be redeemed for travel on American, typically at costs similar to what American charged before their devaluation.
Similarly, Etihad Guest miles can be redeemed at outrageously low costs on Brussels Airlines, which can represent a hell of a value. For example, a roundtrip business class ticket from New York to Brussels costs just 36,620 Etihad Guest miles.
Perhaps what I’m most tempted by, though, is redeeming Etihad Guest miles on Air Serbia’s new flight between New York and Belgrade, which just launched. A one way business class redemption costs 64,082 Etihad Guest miles, meaning with the current 25% bonus you’d pay just 52,000 Citi ThankYou points for the ticket.
It’s nice to see another transfer bonus available through Citi ThankYou. If you’re like me, and have racked up tons of points through the Citi Prestige® Card, this is a great opportunity to use those points for some very unique redemption opportunities.
Anyone planning on taking advantage of this 25% bonus for transfers from Citi to Etihad?