In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
Starwood’s current global promotion, SPG Take Two, is valid for stays through April 30, 2016. Through that promotion you can earn double Starpoints on stays of two or more nights, plus 250 bonus Starpoints per night for stays at select hotels. On top of that, Starwood is offering a further tiered bonus if you stay a certain number of nights during the promotion period — you can earn 2,500 bonus Starpoints if you stay 15-24 nights, and an additional 7,500 bonus Starpoints if you stay 25 or more nights.
Well, Starwood has now announced the details of their next global promotion, called SPG Triple Up. Registration for the promotion will open on May 3, 2016. The promotion will be valid for stays between May 9 and July 31, 2016.
Through this promotion members will earn:
- 3x Starpoints at Sheraton hotels and resorts (4 bonus Starpoints per dollar spent)
- 2x Starpoints at all other brands (2 bonus Starpoints per dollar spent)
- An extra 1,000 Starpoints for stays that include a Friday or Saturday night (Thursday or Friday in the Middle East)
To crunch the numbers, with Starwood you ordinarily earn:
- 2x Starpoints per dollar spent
- Additional 1x Starpoint per dollar spent if you’re a Gold or Platinum member
- Additional 1x Starpoint per dollar spent if you’re a 75 night Platinum member
- Additional 2x Starpoints per dollar spent if you pay with the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express or Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express
So as a 100+ night per year Platinum member I’d earn a total of eight Starpoints per dollar spent at Sheraton, and six Starpoints per dollar spent at all other brands. If paying with the SPG Amex I’d earn an additional two Starpoints per dollar spent, for a total of 8-10 Starpoints per dollar spent.
Assuming there are no excluded properties, this is one of the best promotions that Starwood has offered in a while, in my opinion.
Keep in mind this can be stacked with Starwood’s promotion offering two bonus Delta SkyMiles per dollar spent at US properties through June 30, 2016.
All things otherwise equal I still prefer Hyatt’s Stay More Play More Promotion, where you can earn up to 75,000 bonus points after 25 nights. Assuming you can maximize the promotion, that’s like earning 3,000 bonus points per night. Those are points I value at ~1.5 cents each, so to me that’s like a return of $45 per night. Now that’s really compelling.
Registration for Starwood’s new promotion will open May 3, and it will be valid for stays between May 9 and July 31, 2016. Previously booked stays will qualify, so you can plan your hotel stays around this. Through this promotion you’ll earn two to four bonus Starpoints per dollar spent, plus 1,000 bonus points if staying over a weekend.
This is definitely one of the better promotions Starwood has offered in a while, though not really a game changer, in my opinion.
What do you make of the SPG Triple Up promotion?