Daily Getaways is a promotion sponsored by American Express and the U.S. Travel Association, and is intended to boost US tourism. Every weekday from May 19 through June 20, 2014, travel packages and getaways will be on sale at discounted prices. The good thing is that you don’t have to decide on your dates or travel right away, because most packages come in the form of certificates or points, which can be redeemed over time.
A few things to keep in mind for all of these travel packages:
- Travel packages go on sale at 1PM ET, so you’ll want to be there a couple of minutes early if you want to take full advantage of it
- You get a 10% discount for paying with your American Express Card, which will be applied at the time of purchase
- Some travel packages sell out quickly, so if one shows as “sold out,” keep refreshing your browser and more packages may become available from people that “reserved” one in their cart but didn’t complete the purchase
Today’s Daily Getaways Package: Discounted Hyatt Gold Passport Points
Today Daily Getaways is offering discounted Hyatt Gold Passport points, in the following increments:
- 24,000 Hyatt points / $260 / 95 available
- 30,000 Hyatt points / $330 / 35 available
- 40,000 Hyatt points / $415 / 15 available
- 72,000 Hyatt points / $775 / 15 available
The best rate (at the 40,000 point level) comes out to ~1.04 cents per point, or ~0.93 cents per point if paying with an American Express Card.
Hyatt is kind of taking the opposite approach that IHG Rewards Club took last week. IHG Rewards Club had 6,750 packages for sale at a decent price, some of which are still for sale. Meanwhile Hyatt is only selling a total of 160 packages, though at an amazing price.
So this isn’t an opportunity to buy Hyatt points for under a cent each, but rather an opportunity to enter a “raffle” to buy Hyatt points at that rate.
So if you’re near a computer at 1PM today, enter for sport and not because you’re actually convinced you’ll walk away with Hyatt points at under a cent each. I think at that rate it’s an absolute no brainer to buy them, even without a specific use in mind.
Will you try to take advantage of the Hyatt Daily Getaways deal?