In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
Update: This offer for the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® is expired. Learn more about the current offers here.
Last October Citi increased the sign-up bonuses on their two Citi AAdvantage Platinum Cards for a limited time. Specifically:
- The Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® is offering a sign-up bonus of 60,000 AAdvantage miles after making $3,000 of purchases within the first three months
- The CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® is offering a sign-up bonus of 60,000 AAdvantage miles after making $3,000 of purchases within the first three months
Both cards have a $95 annual fee that’s waived the first year.
While I haven’t heard anything official about the end date, The Points Guy notes that this is the “last chance” for this offer, and that it will be ending soon. I don’t have an exact date, but I’d recommend applying in the coming days if you’re interested. These are excellent sign-up bonuses, and I definitely think it’s worth applying for one or both cards if you’re eligible.
Benefits of the Citi AAdvantage Cards
If you fly American once in a while, both of these cards also come with some useful benefits, including the following:
- Preferred boarding on domestic American flights
- First checked bag free on domestic itineraries for you and up to four companions on the same reservation
- My favorite perk is that the Citi Platinum AAdvantage Personal Card offers a 10% refund on miles redeemed, for a total of up to 10,000 miles per year (assuming you redeem at least 100,000 miles per year, this means you’re getting 10,000 American miles with the card annually, which makes this card a keeper, in my opinion)
Get a 10% refund on redeemed miles, up to 10,000 miles per year
Qualifying for the bonuses on these cards
It’s possible to earn the sign-up bonus on both the Citi Platinum AAdvantage Personal Card and the Citi Platinum AAdvantage Business Card. However, you can’t apply for both on the same day. Citi’s general policy on new card applications is as follows:
- You can only apply for one Citi card every eight days
- You can apply for no more than two Citi cards every 65 days
So you could apply for the Citi Platinum AAdvantage Personal Card now, and then apply for the Citi Platinum AAdvantage Business Card in eight days (if the bonus doesn’t disappear), assuming you haven’t applied for another Citi card in the past ~65 days. Or you could do it the other way around, depending on which card you think you’d get more value out of.
Anecdotally I’ve found these cards to be pretty easy to be approved for, so for most it shouldn’t be too difficult to get approved.
Specific to these cards, here’s what the terms say as far as eligibility goes:
American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had any Citi® / AAdvantage® card (other than a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card) opened or closed in the past 24 months.
This card is not available if the business already has a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® card. Bonus miles are not available if you have had any CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card opened or closed in the past 24 months.
The limited time sign-up bonuses on the Citi Platinum AAdvantage Personal Card and Citi Platinum AAdvantage Business Card are expected to be pulled soon, so if you’re interested I’d recommend applying ASAP. Earning 60,000 miles with a waived annual fee the first year and perks when flying American is a great offer. I value American miles at ~1.3 cents each, so to me the bonus of 60,000 miles offered by each card is worth ~$780.