In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
Citi has increased the sign-up bonuses on their co-branded AAdvantage credit cards for a limited time, to 60,000 bonus miles upon completing minimum spend. I don’t recall ever seeing a bigger publicly available sign-up bonus on these cards. The details of the offers are as follows:
- The Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® is offering a sign-up bonus of 60,000 AAdvantage miles after making $3,000 of purchases within the first three months
- The CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® is offering a sign-up bonus of 60,000 AAdvantage miles after making $3,000 of purchases within the first three months
Both cards have a $95 annual fee, though it’s waived for the first 12 months.
This is a fantastic sign-up bonus, especially when you consider that both cards have reasonable minimum spend, and the annual fee is waived for the first year.
Benefits of the Citi AAdvantage Cards
If you fly American once in a while, both of these cards also come with some useful benefits, including the following:
- Preferred boarding on domestic American flights
- First checked bag free on domestic itineraries for you and up to four companions on the same reservation
- My favorite perk is that the Personal Platinum Citi AAdvantage Card offers a 10% refund on miles redeemed, for a total of up to 10,000 miles per year (assuming you redeem at least 100,000 miles per year, this means you’re getting 10,000 American miles with the card annually, which makes this card a keeper, in my opinion)
Get a 10% refund on redeemed miles, up to 10,000 miles per year
Qualifying for the bonuses on these cards
It’s possible to earn the sign-up bonus on both the Personal Platinum Citi AAdvantage Card and the Business Platinum Citi AAdvantage Card. However, keep in mind that you can’t apply for both on the same day. Citi’s general policy on new card applications is as follows:
- You can only apply for one Citi card every eight days
- You can apply for no more than two Citi cards every 65 days
So you could apply for one of the cards now, and then the other one in eight days, assuming you haven’t applied for another Citi card in the past ~65 days.
Also, anecdotally I’ve found these cards to be pretty easy to be approved for, so for most it shouldn’t be too difficult to get approved.
Specific to these cards, here’s what the terms say as far as eligibility goes:
American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had any Citi® / AAdvantage® card (other than a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card) opened or closed in the past 24 months.
This card is not available if the business already has a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® card. Bonus miles are not available if you have had any CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card opened or closed in the past 24 months.
The limited time sign-up bonuses on both the Personal Platinum Citi AAdvantage Card and Business Platinum Citi AAdvantage Card are worth considering. Earning 60,000 miles with a waived annual fee the first year and perks when flying American is a great offer. I value American miles at ~1.3 cents each (this is a lowered valuation based on their lack of saver award availability on their own flights), so to me the bonus of 60,000 miles offered by each card is worth ~$780. That’s incredible for a card with the first year’s annual fee waived.
Anyone plan on picking up one of these AAdvantage cards available with the current limited time offer?