In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
While in general I tend to think the best use of points is for a flight or hotel stay, loyalty programs and credit card companies are increasingly offering members access to some pretty cool events and experiences. This is something that Starwood has been doing for years with their SPG Moments packages, where you can redeem points for access to special experiences you couldn’t otherwise have. They’ve also been offering exclusive cardmember events for those with the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express for years. In the meantime, this concept has become much more popular.
Cardmembers can redeem 20,000 Avios for a pair of tickets to each of these events. To book these events, you’ll want to call 855-690-8854 once tickets go on sale. There are three upcoming events that cardmembers should be aware of:
Location: Los Angeles, California
Ticket sale date: September 14, 2017
Event date: October 20, 2017
Join us for the ultimate aviation experience at the California Science Center in Los Angeles for a very special evening with a former British astronaut. During a private dinner, seated beneath the last orbiter built by NASA, hear first-hand from the astronaut about their own space endeavors.
- Private, after-hours access to the California Space Center
- Welcome reception with cocktails and canapes in Disney Court (second level of the main Science Center building), where you will be among amazing air and space artifacts such as the Gemini, Apollo and Mercury Mission Capsules, as well as two permanent exhibit galleries
- Hear first-hand from a British astronaut about his very own space undertakings, especially those where he served as pilot on the STS-123 Endeavour and STS-134 Endeavor
- Private multicourse, wine-paired dinner in the Samuel Oschin Space Shuttle Endeavour Pavilion
- Meet-and-greet with photo opportunity at conclusion of event
- Receive an autographed gift item
Location: Chicago, Illinois
Ticket sale date: October 4, 2017
Event date: November 7, 2017
Celebrate the World’s 50 Best Restaurants list at Next Restaurant with a grand tasting menu collaboration including dishes from UK chefs Brett Graham (The Ledbury) and Isaac McHale (The Clove Club). Founded by chef Grant Achatz and Nick Kokonas and under the direction of Executive Chef Jenner Tomaska, Next won the James Beard Award for the Best New Restaurant in America and has received an unprecedented sixteen 4-star reviews from the Chicago Tribune.
- Cocktail reception at The Aviary beginning at 6:30 pm
- Private multi-course wine-paired dinner at Next
- Valet parking
- Personalized gift
Location: New York, New York
Ticket sale date: November 17, 2017
Event date: December 2, 2017
To get in the holiday spirit, cardmembers will experience an interactive evening with a British chef. Guests will enjoy a traditional British Christmas dinner menu curated by chef and hosted in one of Rockefeller Center’s iconic spaces, 620 Loft & Garden.
- A private multicourse, wine-paired, traditional British Christmas dinner
- Private cooking demonstration, meet & greet and engaging experience with the chef
- Panoramic views of the New York City and a stunning view of the Rockefeller Center Christmas tree
- Receive a personalized gift
These won’t be for everyone, but if you’re someone who enjoys this type of stuff, I’d consider this to be a solid deal. I value Avios at ~1.2 cents each, so to me this is like spending the equivalent of ~$240 on a pair of tickets to any of these events, which seems like a solid deal. If you don’t yet have the British Airways Visa Signature® Card, you should still be able to apply, and as long as you’re a cardmember when tickets go on sale, you can redeem Avios towards these experiences.
The card has a big sign-up bonus of up to 100,000 Avios, and earlier I shared why it’s worth considering getting this card.
Is anyone considering one of these BA Visa cardmember events?