One of the main goals of the Gulf carriers is to develop the infrastructure of their home countries and put them on the map. One certainly has to wonder where Doha would be without Qatar Airways, or where Dubai would be without Emirates. While these cities are known for being global hubs, the airlines are increasingly making an effort to have you actually visit, rather than just connect. For example, I recently shared my experience with Etihad’s free hotel stopover program in Abu Dhabi.
In May, Qatar Airways announced a similar program, called +Qatar. Through +Qatar, passengers traveling on Qatar Airways in all cabins can get a 96 hour Qatar visa at no cost (though in the meantime Qatar has rolled out visa-free entry for 80 nationalities), one free night of hotel, and more.
Originally the program was just supposed to be valid through September 30, 2017, though this has now been extended through December 31, 2017. I guess this shouldn’t come as much of a surprise given the Gulf blockade, which has presumably led to reduced hotel occupancy in Qatar.
Through this offer you can get one night for free, and pay just $50 for the second night. The type of hotel you’re eligible for depends on the type of fare you book. Economy passengers are eligible for premium hotels (Holiday Inn, Radisson Blu, etc.), while business and first class passengers are eligible for luxury hotels (Four Seasons, Ritz-Carlton, St. Regis, etc.).
Here are the basic terms associated with the +Qatar program:
- Booking validity: 1 May to 28 December 2017.
- Travel validity: 7 May to 31 December 2017. All travel must be completed by 31 December 2017.
- Offer is valid for Qatar Airways confirmed tickets holders with transit in Doha.
- Qatar Airways E-ticket number is required to be entered at the payment page. Maximum of one booking is allowed per E-ticket number.
- Offer is available on Qatar Airways flights transiting through Doha during onward or return journey. (E.g. London – Doha – Bangkok).
- A minimum transiting time of 12 hours is required to be eligible for this offer.
- Not applicable on codeshare flights.
- Please review +Qatar offer complete terms and conditions here.
It’s nice to see Qatar extend the +Qatar program, which is a nice way to encourage people to visit Doha. Between this and them adding visa-free entry for people from 80 countries, it’s certainly becoming a more welcoming place to visit.
(Tip of the hat to LoyaltyLobby)