In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
Hilton Honors offers among the best return on hotel spend of any loyalty program, given that they’ve been offering nonstop promotions lately. At the moment Hilton has an even further promotion for those who book a Hilton stay of at least two nights and pay with an Amex Platinum Card.
Keep in mind that the Amex Platinum Card already offers free Hilton Honors Gold status, which I consider to be an awesome perk of the card. The card also offers SPG Gold status, and by connection, Marriott Rewards Gold status.
The basic details of this promotion are as follows:
- Valid for stays between May 7 and August 7, 2017
- This bonus can only be earned once
- Registration is required prior to an eligible stay
- A minimum of a consecutive two night stay is required, and all hotels globally are participating, except Hampton by Hilton properties in China
- Bonus points should post within six to eight weeks
- Valid for both The Platinum Card® from American Express and The Enhanced Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN (US versions only)
- The terms suggest that this is only valid for those who have enrolled in complimentary Hilton Honors Gold status through the Amex Platinum Card (I’m not sure how closely that’s actually enforced)
This promotion can be combined with Hilton’s current global promotion, which offers double points for all stays globally, or triple points if you’re a Diamond member.
Furthermore, you can earn 500 bonus points per booking made with the Hilton app through the end of 2017.
So the best strategy here is to use the Amex Platinum Card for the cheapest two night stay you make during the promotion period. That’s because you’re earning 7,500 bonus points, which I value at ~$30. However, you’re also forgoing a return on spend, since the card offers just one Membership Rewards point per dollar spent on Hilton hotel stays, a return I value at ~1.7%.
Meanwhile a card like the Hilton Honors™ Surpass® Card from American Express offers 12x Hilton Honors points per dollar spent, which I value at a return of ~4.8%. In other words, at roughly $1,000 of spend you’d breakeven in terms of the credit card return you’re getting, when comparing the 12x Hilton Honors points to the 1x Membership Rewards points plus 7,500 bonus points.
Do you plan on taking advantage of this Amex Platinum Card bonus for Hilton stays?
(Tip of the hat to Running With Miles)