Oman Air has published a rather interesting deal to celebrate the launch of their new route to Manchester, which launches May 1, 2017. Upon purchasing a ticket and traveling roundtrip to any of their destinations in India or South East Asia, you will receive status in their frequent flyer program, Sindbad miles.
If you fly in economy, you earn Silver status after just one roundtrip, and if you travel business you earn Gold status. There is very little information about the promotion on Oman Air’s website, but if you actually get all Gold member benefits, that would include two upgrade certificates.
This could potentially be an incredible deal. The terms and conditions listed are as follows:
- To be eligible you need to register and book at least 24 hours in advance of your flight.
- Offer is valid for travel between 1st May and 31st May 2017.
- Your journey has to be completed on or before 31st May 2017.
- The offer is applicable for Economy & Business Class journeys between Manchester and any of Oman Air’s destinations in the Far East (Bangkok, Guangzhou, Jakarta, Kuala Lumpur, Manila, Singapore), in India (Bengaluru, Chennai, Delhi, Goa, Hyderabad, Jaipur, Kochi, Kozhikode, Lucknow, Mumbai, Thiruvananthapuram) or in Pakistan (Islamabad, Karachi, Lahore).
- Sindbad members need to complete the entire journey in revenue Business class to be eligible for upgrade to Gold.
- Sindbad members need to complete the journey in revenue Economy class to be eligible for upgrade to Silver.
Note that you have to register to be eligible.
Let’s have a look at just how valuable this offer can be. Oman Air business class fares to South East Asia from Manchester are quite expensive:
However, fares to India are slightly more reasonable:
These flights would be enough to upgrade an entire roundtrip ticket from anywhere to/from Muscat. You could apply your upgrade certificates to a future ticket between Manchester and Muscat, which would have otherwise cost $2447.
Is it worth the trip?
Given that airfares out of London and Manchester tend to be very expensive, I think this could be very valuable to UK-based readers. Oman Air has one of the best business class products in the world and I had an incredible experience on my recent flights with them. Besides the other benefits of being Sindbad Gold, earning two upgrade certificates could potentially save a lot of money. Economy fares between the UK and Muscat seem to hover around $500 roundtrip:
Doing some simple math, $2800 + $500 = $3200. This means you could essentially get two business class trips between the UK and Asia for $1600 each on one of the world’s best business class products. Otherwise, the upgrade certificates can be applied on any Oman Air flight, so you have a lot of freedom.
While Sindbad Gold might not be especially useful on airlines other than Oman Air, getting two upgrade certificates just for flying one roundtrip from Manchester is a great offer. If you’re already booked on an eligible route in May, signing up is a no-brainer, even if you’re in economy.