In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
Amex Platinum Card Benefits: Adding Authorized Users
Amex Platinum Card Benefits: $200 Annual Airline Fee Credit
Amex Platinum Card Benefits: $200 Annual Uber Credit
Amex Platinum Card Benefits: Free Hotel Status
Amex Platinum Card Benefits: Airport Lounge Access
Amex Platinum Card Benefits: 5x Points On Airfare & Hotels
Amex Platinum Card Benefits: Global Entry Or TSA Pre-Check Credit
Amex Platinum Card Benefits: Free Rental Car Status
Amex Platinum Card Benefits: Fine Hotels & Resorts
Recently we saw The Platinum Card® from American Express relaunched with new benefits, a bigger sign-up bonus, and a higher annual fee. The card now has a sign-up bonus of 60,000 Membership Rewards points after spending $5,000 within three months. On top of that, the card’s annual fee increased by $100, though I think for most people the new benefits will more than make up for the increased annual fee.
I get a lot of questions about the details of the benefits of The Platinum Card® from American Express, so I’m writing a series about the various benefits of the card.
In this post I wanted to talk about the rental car status offered through the Amex Platinum Card. Just for having the Amex Platinum Card you get status with three major rental car companies, which is a benefit I know many value. Personally I don’t rent cars very often anymore, as I far prefer taking an Uber, but others certainly feel differently.
What rental car status do you get with the Amex Platinum Card?
American Express has what they call the Car Rental Privileges program, which gets you status and even discounts with Avis, Hertz, and National. You’re entitled to these privileges for as long as you have the Amex Platinum Card. Status with a rental car company can get you car upgrades, priority services, etc.
Log into your Amex Platinum Card account on this page, and you’ll see all the options to take advantage of your car rental privileges. You’ll have the option of either enrolling in the rental car program, or if you are already a member, you can request a status upgrade. It typically takes a few days for a status upgrade to be reflected.
National Emerald Club Executive status with Amex Platinum Card
- Access to the Executive SelectionSM area – Executive members choose their own car from the Executive Selection area. Here you will have your choice of any fullsize car or higher class while always paying the reserved midsize rate.
- Guaranteed upgrades – as an Executive member, you’ll always pay one car class less when you reserve a fullsize through luxury car – a guarantee no other rental car company can make.
- An accelerated earning schedule – with six rental credits, receive one free rental day, or opt to receive airline miles or hotel points from one of many partners.
- Receive automatic E-receipts – sign up for E-receipts and your receipt will be e-mailed to you. Simply drop off your car and go.
- An Exclusive Reservation Line – reserved for Executive members only. Call toll-free, 24 hours a day at 1-800-732-2109 and you take advantage of savings up to 20% on your rental when you mention Contract ID 5028695. You may also book through Platinum Travel Service by calling the number on the back of your Platinum Card.
Avis Preferred status with the Amex Platinum Card
- You won’t have to provide your rental preferences every time you reserve – they’ll already be on file.
- When you arrive at Avis, you can skip the lines and the paperwork and go straight to your car at over 1,400 locations worldwide.
- A courtesy bus will drop you off by one of the newest cars, or you’ll find it in a convenient parking space.
- When you enroll in Preferred Service online, you will also enjoy automatic enrollment in My Avis — the personal service dedicated to enhancing your online Avis experience.
- Plus, receive a Free Weekend Rental Certificate when you use code AWD# A756900 and rent twice within a 6 month period of time.
Hertz Gold Plus Rewards privileges with the Amex Platinum Card
The Amex Platinum Card comes with preferential treatment for Hertz rentals. When you use CDP# 211762 to enroll in Hertz Gold Plus Rewards and when making a reservation, you will receive these benefits:
- Expedited service at over 40 of the world’s largest airports (no stopping at the counters)
- Up to 20% off best contract rate at participating Hertz locations worldwide
- Up to 25% off best contract rate on Hertz Prestige Collection weekend rentals
- A 4-hour no-charge grace period, before an extra day charge is applied
- 10% bonus on Hertz Gold Plus Rewards®
- A One-car-class upgrade
- Ability to earn airline miles or free car rental days
Personally it has probably been a year since I’ve rented a car. With the increased popularity of ridesharing, I just don’t really find it to be necessary as much as previously. Nowadays I just rent a car if I’m in a remote area where it’s easy to drive, and there’s limited public transportation. Most of the remote areas I travel to are also places where I don’t feel comfortable driving, so that greatly limits the places where I’d rent a car.
I’ve never bothered much with rental car status, though my understanding is that National Emerald Club Executive status is probably the most valuable of the bunch.
Has anyone taken advantage of the Amex Platinum Card rental car privileges? Which do you find to be most valuable?