In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
Update: The below links for the Starwood Preferred Guest cards are expired, but you can learn more about the best current offers here!
Update: The Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express has a limited time offer through 11/1/2017. Learn more about best available offers here.
Well, folks, this is your last chance. The increased sign-up bonuses on the SPG Amex Cards will be pulled at some point during the day tomorrow (Wednesday, April 5, 2017). This increased sign-up bonus has been around since mid-February.
Both the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express and Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express are offering sign-up bonuses of 35,000 Starpoints upon completing minimum spend, plus the first year’s annual fee is waived (it’s $95 per year thereafter).
I value Starpoints at ~2.2 cents each, so to me the 35,000 point sign-up bonus are worth $770, which is a huge sign-up bonus.
At a minimum, Starpoints convert into airline miles at a 1:1 ratio, with a 5,000 point bonus for every 20,000 points transferred. In other words, upon completing minimum spend you’ll have a minimum of 40,000 Starpoints, which is enough for 50,000 airline miles in your choice of programs.
These cards also come with a slew of perks, including the following:
- Two elite qualifying stays and five elite qualifying nights towards status annually; that means just for having both cards you receive four elite qualifying stays and 10 elite qualifying nights towards status each year, which is huge
- Complimentary unlimited Boingo wifi
- Complimentary in-room premium internet access
- Sheraton club lounge access (for those with the SPG Business Amex)
You can quite easily earn the sign-up bonus on both the business and personal version of the card. There are a couple of things to note about American Express applications in general:
- Sign-up bonuses from American Express are “once in a lifetime” nowadays, so if you’ve gotten a sign-up bonus on a particular card before, you generally won’t be eligible for another bonus on that card
- With American Express, you generally can’t have more than four charge cards and five credit cards at a given time, including both business and personal cards; it doesn’t matter what the split is between personal and business cards, but rather what matters is the split between credit and charge cards (some report being limited to four credit cards, though as a general rule of thumb the limit seems to have been lifted to five credit card)
Keep in mind that the Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest programs are expected to merge at some point next year. When that happens, we don’t know if American Express or Chase will take over the credit card contract. Given that American Express has historically offered this bonus once per year, it’s possible that this is the last time we’ll see this bonus.
The sign-up bonuses on the SPG Personal Amex and SPG Business Amex are the best we’ve ever seen. If you’ve been considering picking up one or both of these cards, you’ll want to apply today or early tomorrow to be sure you can get in on the bonus; it will be pulled at some point tomorrow.