Most rental car companies will let you earn airline miles for booking with them. For example, Travis has outlined how he’s able to earn 2,750 United MileagePlus miles per Hertz rental, which is pretty great, especially for a one-day rental.
However, at the moment there’s a promotion that almost makes me want to rent cars for the heck of it.
SAS EuroBonus is celebrating their 25th anniversary, and are offering 5,000 EuroBonus points per Hertz rental worldwide, even if the rental is just for one day. The promotion is valid for bookings through June 30, and for rentals through September 30, 2017.
Here are the full details of the promotion, which I’m copying in the event that they change their mind on this promotion:
EuroBonus turns 25 – it’s time to celebrate!
Celebrate with us the 25th Birthday of SAS EuroBonus. Therefor Hertz is awarding you 5,000 SAS EuroBonus Extra points per rental of one day and longer worldwide.
Just book your car by 30th June and rent until 30th September 2017 to earn your Extra points.
To be quick is paying off: The first 25 bookings receive an amazing 25,000 EuroBonus points on top as very special Birthday gift on their EuroBonus account.
Bookings must be made via this page using the discount code CDP 736686 and the promotion code PC 203592.
Remember all our rates include Theft and Collission Damage waiver, no hidden fees and make and model guarantee in the Hertz Collections. As SAS EuroBonus member you receive special rates all year round with up to 15% discount.
Furthermore, here are the full terms of the promotion (again, I’m copying them in case they try to make any changes):
- Booking period: 1st April – 30th June 2017
- Pick up period: 1st April – 30th September 2017
- Minimum rental length is one day.
- Must use Discount code CDP 736686 to receive the discount and Promotion Code PC 203592 to receive the 5,000 SAS EuroBonus Extra points and your special conditions.
- Please quote your EuroBonus member number at time of booking and show your card at time of pick up.
- First 25 bookings made with this promotion which turn into a rental receive 25,000 EuroBonus points.
- Customers are informed at 5th October 2017 and points will be credited afterwards to their account.
- Customers need to be a EuroBonus member.
- Recourse to the courts is not permitted.
- Offer cannot be combined with any other offer, discount or promotion.
- All rentals are subject to Hertz standard terms and conditions.
- Hertz reserves the right to change or remove this promotion at any time.
So, how good can this offer be? The first Hertz location I looked up (in Tampa) has all-in rates of under $23 per day. For that you’d get 5,000 SAS points, which is the equivalent of acquiring points for under 0.5 cents each.
So, what will those points get you? Here’s the award chart for travel on SAS in business class:
As you can see, roundtrip business class between the US and Europe will run you 100,000 points in SAS’ excellent business class product, and there are no carrier imposed surcharges.
Meanwhile here’s the SAS EuroBonus award chart for travel on Star Alliance partner airlines:
Their award rates aren’t too bad, and I see quite a few values I’d consider to be decent. On the most basic level, you can book a roundtrip domestic economy award on United for 25,000 miles, or business class for 50,000 miles.
Unless you have an existing balance of SAS points, it’s probably not worth taking advantage of this promotion for just a few rentals. However, if you’re someone who likes to find great promotions and take full advantage of them, then it could absolutely make sense to rent a car every other day for the purpose of maximizing this offer. Acquiring points at this low of a rate is a steal — just consider the time it will take to make the rentals, etc.
Anyone plan to take advantage of this offer for 5,000 EuroBonus points per Hertz rental?
(Tip of the hat to Frequent Flyer Bonuses)