Well, the first World of Hyatt promotion has just been announced, which is called “Double Points for Being You.”
Details of Hyatt’s double points promotion
Through this promotion, World of Hyatt members can earn double base points for all stays between April 1 and June 30, 2017, starting with the second stay. Here’s what Jeff Zidell, SVP of World of Hyatt had to say about the promotion:
“Built on the idea that loyalty starts with understanding, World of Hyatt brings more rewards and benefits for doing the things members love to do—from trusted hotel stays to shared dining experiences to deserved spa treatments,” said Jeff Zidell, senior vice president, World of Hyatt. “Our first World of Hyatt promotion celebrates our members with double points when they stay, so they can enjoy meaningful rewards like free nights and room upgrades even more quickly.”
You can take part in the promotion by doing the following:
- From now through June 30, 2017, register at worldofhyatt.com/doublepoints
- Make a reservation on hyatt.com and complete your second eligible stay during the promotion period, April 1 through June 30,2017, to begin earning double points
- Provide your World of Hyatt membership number at the time of reservation and check-in
How good is Hyatt’s double points promotion?
World of Hyatt members ordinarily earn five base points per dollar spent, meaning that during this promotion members will earn 10 points per dollar spent, starting with their second stay. On top of that, you can earn more points if you’re an elite member (the numbers below are starting with your second stay):
- Discoverist members will earn 10.5 points per dollar spent (10% bonus on base points)
- Explorist members earn 11 points per dollar spent (20% bonus on base points)
- Globalist members earn 11.5 points per dollar spent (30% bonus on base points)
I value Hyatt points at ~1.5 cents each, meaning the return offered starting with your second stay is ~16-17%, depending on your status.
So this promotion essentially offers an incremental return of ~7.5% on Hyatt stays, since that’s what I value five points at. That’s certainly not a reason to book Hyatt over a competitor, though perhaps it will prevent people from booking away from Hyatt.
Earn double points at all Hyatt properties, including the Hyatt Regency Baku
Other ways to earn free nights at Hyatt hotels
Keep in mind that in addition to just earning points, there are other ways members can earn free nights through the World of Hyatt program:
- World of Hyatt Globalist members got a free night valid at any Hyatt hotel when the program was launched
- Each year you get a free Category 1-4 night when you qualify for Explorist status, and a free Category 1-7 night when you qualify for Globalist status
- You get a free Category 1-4 night after staying at five Hyatt brands, and another free Category 1-4 night after staying at another five Hyatt brands
Redeem your free Category 7 night at the Park Hyatt Sydney
How does this compare to past promotions?
As a point of comparison, Hyatt’s last global promotion (which they ran last fall) offered up to 75,000 bonus points after 25 nights. That’s the same promotion they also ran a couple of times before that.
For those who were able to complete that many stays, that was probably a much better promotion. In order to earn 75,000 bonus points through this promotion you’d have to spend $15,000 starting with your second stay, which I suspect most people won’t do. However, the previous promotion was also most useful in specific increments, so wasn’t great for those who aren’t frequent guests.
I’m just happy to see any promotion from Hyatt. Ultimately this promotion isn’t anything to get too excited about — it amounts to an incremental return of ~7.5% on Hyatt stays starting with your second stay — though it’s better than nothing.
What do you make of Hyatt’s double points promotion?