In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
Update: The links below are expired, but you can learn more about the best current offers here!
Update: The Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express has a limited time offer through 11/1/2017. Learn more about best available offers here.
For a bit over a month now, we’ve seen great increased sign-up bonuses on Starwood’s co-branded American Express cards. Both the personal and business versions of the card are offering sign-up bonuses of up to 35,000 Starpoints upon completing minimum spend, as follows:
- For the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express, earn 25,000 Starpoints after spending $3,000 within three months, plus an additional 10,000 Starpoints after spending another $2,000 within six months; $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95
- For the Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express, earn 25,000 Starpoints after spending $5,000 within three months, plus an additional 10,000 Starpoints after spending another $3,000 within six months; $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95
While 35,000 points might not sound like a lot, keep in mind that Starpoints are among the most valuable points currency out there, so 35,000 Starpoints are worth more than that many points in just about any other points currency.
At a minimum, Starpoints convert into airline miles at a 1:1 ratio, with a 5,000 point bonus for every 20,000 points transferred. In other words, upon completing minimum spend you’ll have a minimum of 40,000 Starpoints, which is enough for 50,000 airline miles in your choice of programs.
These cards also come with a slew of perks, including the following:
- Two elite qualifying stays and five elite qualifying nights towards status annually; that means just for having both cards you receive four elite qualifying stays and 10 elite qualifying nights towards status each year, which is huge
- Complimentary unlimited Boingo wifi
- Complimentary in-room premium internet access
- Sheraton club lounge access (for those with the SPG Business Amex)
You can quite easily earn the sign-up bonus on both the business and personal version of the card. There are a couple of things to note about American Express applications in general:
- Sign-up bonuses from American Express are “once in a lifetime” nowadays, so if you’ve gotten a sign-up bonus on a particular card before, you generally won’t be eligible for another bonus on that card
- With American Express, you generally can’t have more than four charge cards and five credit cards at a given time, including both business and personal cards; it doesn’t matter what the split is between personal and business cards, but rather what matters is the split between credit and charge cards (some report being limited to four credit cards, though as a general rule of thumb the limit seems to have been lifted to five credit card)
The sign-up bonuses on the SPG Personal Amex and SPG Business Amex are the best we’ve ever seen. If you’ve been considering picking up one or both of these cards, keep in mind that the deadline to apply under the current offer is April 5, 2017, which is less than two weeks away.