In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
Update: This offer for Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® is expired. Learn more about the current offer here.
Since early December, Citi has officially increased the sign-up bonuses on the American AAdvantage co-brand credit cards. I’m told that the increased offers will be pulled tomorrow, so if you’re interested you’ll want to apply within the next 24 hours. As a reminder, here’s what you need to know about these offers:
Citi AAdvantage Card sign-up bonuses
Between these two cards you can earn up to 100,000 AAdvantage bonus miles, which is pretty great. The details are as follows:
- The Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® is offering a sign-up bonus of 50,000 AAdvantage miles after making $3,000 of purchases within the first three months
- The CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® is offering a sign-up bonus of 50,000 AAdvantage miles after making $3,000 of purchases within the first three months
Both cards have a $95 annual fee, though it’s waived for the first 12 months.
This is a fantastic sign-up bonus, especially when you consider that both cards have reasonable minimum spend requirements, and the annual fee is waived for the first year.
Benefits of the Citi AAdvantage Cards
If you fly American once in a while, both of these cards also come with some useful benefits, including the following:
- Group 1 boarding on domestic American flights, including on basic economy fares (which means you’ll be able to bring a carry-on even when booking a basic economy fare)
- First checked bag free on domestic itineraries for you and up to four companions on the same reservation
- My favorite perk is that the Personal Platinum Citi AAdvantage Card offers a 10% refund on redeemed miles, for a total of up to 10,000 miles per year (assuming you redeem at least 100,000 miles per year, this means you’re getting 10,000 American miles with the card annually, which makes this card a keeper, in my opinion)
Qualifying for the bonuses on these cards
It’s possible to earn the sign-up bonus on both the Personal Platinum Citi AAdvantage Card and the Business Platinum Citi AAdvantage Card. However, keep in mind that you can’t apply for both on the same day. Citi’s general policy on new card applications is as follows:
- You can only apply for one Citi card every eight days
- You can apply for no more than two Citi cards every 65 days
Anecdotally I’ve found these cards to be pretty easy to be approved for, so for most it shouldn’t be too difficult to get approved.
Specific to these cards, here’s what the terms say as far as eligibility goes:
American Airlines AAdvantage® bonus miles are not available if you have had any Citi® / AAdvantage® card (other than a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card) opened or closed in the past 24 months.
This card is not available if the business already has a CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Mastercard® card. Bonus miles are not available if you have had any CitiBusiness® / AAdvantage® card opened or closed in the past 24 months.
The limited time sign-up bonuses on both the Personal Platinum Citi AAdvantage Card and Business Platinum Citi AAdvantage Card are slated to end tomorrow, and are worth considering. Earning 50,000 miles with a waived annual fee the first year and perks when flying American is a great offer. I value American miles at ~1.5 cents each, so to me the bonus of 50,000 miles offered by each card are worth ~$750.