In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
Update: The below links for the Starwood Preferred Guest cards are expired, but you can learn more about the best current offers here!
As I first wrote about yesterday, we’re seeing big increased sign-up bonuses on both the personal and business version of the SPG Amex:
- For the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express, earn 25,000 Starpoints after spending $3,000 within three months, plus an additional 10,000 Starpoints after spending another $2,000 within six months; $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95
- For the Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express, earn 25,000 Starpoints after spending $5,000 within three months, plus an additional 10,000 Starpoints after spending another $3,000 within six months; $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95
This is the biggest ever sign-up bonus we’ve seen on these cards, so if you haven’t yet had these cards, it’s a no brainer to apply for them.
I’ve had several readers ask if they can be approved for both the personal and business SPG cards, and if so, how long they should wait between applications. To start, there are a couple of things to note about American Express applications in general:
- Sign-up bonuses from American Express are “once in a lifetime” nowadays, so if you’ve gotten a sign-up bonus on a particular card before, you generally won’t be eligible for another bonus on that card
- With American Express, you generally can’t have more than four charge cards and five credit cards at a given time, including both business and personal cards; it doesn’t matter what the split is between personal and business cards, but rather what matters is the split between credit and charge cards (some report being limited to four credit cards, though as a general rule of thumb the limit seems to have been lifted to five credit card)
You sure can be, and you can even apply on the same day (with some other issuers, that would generate an automatic denial on one card, which shouldn’t happen here). If you apply for both cards the same day, there are two scenarios that are most likely to happen:
- You could get approved for both cards same day, given that one is a business card and one is a personal card
- You could have one application delayed a bit, in which case one card could be approved almost instantly, while the other one would automatically be processed a few days later
The point is, generally speaking there’s no issue with applying for both the SPG Personal Amex and SPG Business Amex in one day. They’re great offers, and there’s a chance you could get approved for both cards in a day. But if you don’t, the other application will just automatically be delayed a bit, and will then go through the standard approval process.
Lastly, keep in mind that in the unlikely you event you get denied for a card, generally a denial won’t count negatively impact your credit score, as Amex typically doesn’t pull your credit if you’re denied for a card, assuming you’re an existing cardmember.
You can indeed apply for both a business and personal American Express card in a day, and stand a good chance at getting approved. If they don’t want to approve you for both in one day, one application will just be delayed by a few days. I still generally think applying for both same day is the best bet.
Just keep in mind the restriction about only being able to have five credit cards and four charge cards from American Express.