In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
Update: The below links for the Starwood Preferred Guest cards are expired, but you can learn more about the best current offers here!
Yay, it’s back! Last year American Express offered the biggest ever sign-up bonus on the SPG Amex, and it’s back again now, for the second time ever. The normal sign-up bonus on these cards is 25,000 Starpoints upon completing minimum spend. In the past we’ve sometimes seen 30,000 Starpoint sign-up bonuses. And now we’re seeing a 35,000 Starpoint sign-up bonus, which is the biggest sign-up bonus ever. These increased sign-up bonuses are valid through April 5, 2017.
SPG Amex sign-up bonus details
As stated above, at the moment we’re seeing a sign-up bonus of 35,000 Starpoints, which is the highest bonus ever. Here are the details of the sign-up bonus:
- For the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express, earn 25,000 Starpoints after spending $3,000 within three months, plus an additional 10,000 Starpoints after spending another $2,000 within six months; $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95
- For the Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express, earn 25,000 Starpoints after spending $5,000 within three months, plus an additional 10,000 Starpoints after spending another $3,000 within six months; $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95
To me Starpoints are the single most valuable points currency out there — I value Starpoints at 2.2 cents each. So the 35,000 point sign-up bonus is worth $770 to me. That’s a very nice sign-up bonus, especially for a card which is actually worth holding onto long term.
I value Starpoints so much because of how flexible they are. You can redeem them efficiently for hotel stays, and also for points transfers to over two dozen airline partners. Points convert into miles at a 1:1 ratio, and you get a 5,000 mile bonus for every 20,000 points transferred, which means you’re essentially earning 1.25 airline miles per Starpoint.
SPG Amex card benefits
In addition to an incredible sign-up bonus, these cards offer some great perks, including the following:
- Two elite qualifying stays and five elite qualifying nights towards status annually; that means just for having both cards you receive four elite qualifying stays and 10 elite qualifying nights towards status each year, which is huge
- Complimentary unlimited Boingo wifi
- Complimentary in-room premium internet access
- Sheraton club lounge access (for those with the SPG Business Amex)
Marriott’s takeover of Starwood makes this bonus even more tempting
Marriott has taken over Starwood, though for the time being the they’re continuing to operate independent loyalty programs. They say that they’ll merge programs as early as 2018. On many levels this makes this bonus even more tempting:
- Starpoints can be converted into Marriott Rewards points at a 1:3 ratio, so 35,000 Starpoints are worth 105,000 Marriott Rewards points
- We don’t know what the future of the credit card partnership will look like for Marriott and SPG, and don’t know how much longer this card will be around
If you don’t yet have the SPG Personal Amex or SPG Business Amex, this is the best offer we’ve ever seen on the card, and I’d highly recommend applying. Not only is this sign-up bonus great, but the cards have long term value as well. My favorite perk is on the SPG Business Amex, which offers club lounge access at Sheraton properties. That’s a huge benefit for anyone who stays at Sheratons with any regularity.