In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
Update: This offer for The Blue for Business® Credit Card from American Express is expired. Learn more about the best available offer here.
We’ve seen a lot of great American Express sign-up bonuses come and go lately, and yet another one will be ending tomorrow.
Since late October we’ve seen an increased sign-up bonus on The Blue for Business® Credit Card from American Express, which
will end tomorrow, February 1, 2017. Update, this offer has been extended until February 22nd.
This card has no annual fee, and while the upfront sign-up bonus on the card isn’t huge, the earnings potential on the card is.
Amex Blue for Business increased sign-up bonus details
There are three parts to this sign-up bonus:
- Earn 10,000 bonus Membership Rewards points after making your first purchase on the card within the first three months
- Earn 10x points at U.S. restaurants on the first $2,000 in purchases for the first six months
- Earn 2x points on all qualifying purchases on the first $50,000 for the first year (an additional one point per dollar spent)
On top of that, as an ongoing benefit this card offers a 30% annual points bonus based on the past year’s purchases on your Blue for Business Card. That counts for base points earned, meaning you’d earn an additional 0.3 Membership Rewards points per dollar spent.
In other words, you earn 2.3 Membership Rewards points per dollar spent for the first $50,000 you spend within the first year. You’re also earning 10.3x points at restaurants.
That’s a massive amount of value to get out of a card.
Crunching the numbers differently
Let’s say you don’t have this card, but would in fact spend $2,000 on restaurants and $50,000 on everyday spend. How many points would you earn incrementally?
- The 10,000 points sign-up bonus
- 14,600 points from dining (10.3 points per dollar spent, minus the opportunity cost of triple points on dining through other cards)
- 40,000 points from everyday spend (2.3 points per dollar spent, minus the opportunity cost of earning 1.5 points per dollar spent on everyday spend on cards like the EveryDay Preferred and Freedom Unlimited)
In other words, I view the incremental bonus on this card as being 64,600 Membership Rewards points. That’s an insanely good deal if you fit in the above category, especially given that this is a no annual fee card.
The increased sign-up bonus on the Blue for Business Card is ending soon, and this really is a very compelling card. Assuming you’ll spend $50,000 on the card and $2,000 on dining, the incremental bonus earned on this card will be 64,600 Membership Rewards points, which is fantastic.
I’ve never crunched the numbers that way, but now that I think about it, I’m very tempted to apply…