American AAdvantage has just announced a promotion for earning bonus miles on transatlantic travel. The promotion is similar to ones we’ve seen in the past. Through this promotion you can earn up to 40,000 bonus miles for transatlantic travel this winter, as follows:
- 5,000 bonus miles per roundtrip in economy (fare classes Y, H, K, M, L, W, V, G, Q, N, O or S)
- 10,000 bonus miles per roundtrip in business class (fare classes J, R, D or I)
- 20,000 bonus miles per roundtrip in first class (fare classes F or A)
Registration is required using promotion code NAS17. Furthermore, booking and travel is required between January 19 and March 31, 2017. In the past American counted previously purchased tickets towards the promotion, though they’re not doing so this time.
In terms of other important terms:
- Only flights between the U.S. and Europe marketed by American are eligible, though they can be operated by American, British Airways, Iberia, or Finnair
- Bonus miles can be earned for a maximum of two roundtrips
Travel in Iberia business class will qualify, as long as the flight is marketed by American
Ultimately this is a nice bonus for anyone planning a transatlantic trip, though I don’t like that previously booked tickets don’t qualify, unlike in the past. I understand the goal is to generate incremental business, but you shouldn’t penalize those who choose to book early, in my opinion.
Ultimately I wouldn’t change my travel plans around this promotion, but it’s an easy way to pick up 5,000 bonus miles on most economy fares, and even more miles for business and first class fares.
(Tip of the hat to View from the Wing)