In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Opinions expressed here are the author's alone, not those of the bank, credit card issuer, airlines or hotel chain, and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by any of these entities. Please check out my advertiser policy for further details about our partners, including American Express, Chase, and Citi, and thanks for your support!
Update: This offer for The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN is expired. Learn more about the best available offer here.
One of the best uses of Air France/KLM FlyingBlue miles is booking their Promo Awards.
FlyingBlue publishes these every month, and they offer 20-50% off select award tickets on Air France and KLM metal.
Back in the day Promo Awards would consistently be for 50% off and would have a good number of options in business class, though unfortunately they’ve devalued the promotion somewhat since then, and the discounts are now pretty consistently for 25% off. That’s still very good, just not as good.
FlyingBlue just published their latest Promo Awards. These are valid for bookings made between November 1 and November 30, 2016 (meaning they’ll be bookable starting tomorrow), and for travel between January 1 and February 28, 2016 (though exact dates vary):
FlyingBlue has just published their November list of Promo Awards, which has the potential to be pretty lucrative. These include the following 25% off awards between North America and Europe:
- Boston to Europe in Air France economy class (travel January 1 through February 28)
- Calgary to Europe in KLM business class (travel January 1 through February 28)
- Chicago to Europe in KLM economy class (travel January 1 through February 28)
- Edmonton to Europe in KLM business class (travel January 1 through February 28)
- Houston to Europe in Air France or KLM economy class (travel January 1 through February 28)
- Montreal to Europe in KLM business class (travel January 1 through February 28)
- New York to Europe (via Paris Orly) in Air France economy class (travel January 1 through February 28)
- San Francisco to Europe in Air France economy class (travel January 1 through February 28)
- Detroit to Europe in Air France economy class (travel February 1 through February 28)
- New York JFK to Europe in KLM economy class (travel February 1 through February 28)
- Vancouver to Europe in Air France business class (travel February 1 through February 28)
- Washington to Europe in KLM economy class (travel February 1 through February 28)
- Mexico City to Europe in Air France economy class (travel January 1 through January 31)
With these discounts you’ll be paying:
- 18,750 miles one-way in economy class, rather than the usual price of 25,000 miles
- 46,875 miles one-way in business class, rather than the usual price of 62,500 miles
With any of these awards, you can include connections to other points in Europe (including Israel) from Paris and Amsterdam at no additional cost, though you can’t include domestic segments on Delta or Alaska to position within North America.
All saver level space on Air France and KLM in the above markets is eligible for the discounted costs, and these awards are bookable directly on the FlyingBlue website. Availability on these routes is excellent, and starting tomorrow you should see saver level award space priced at the above levels.
As always, there are plenty of routes outside of North America eligible for Promo Awards as well, so be sure to take a look at the whole list.
Depending on your travel plans these can represent excellent values.
As a reminder, FlyingBlue is transfer partners with Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, and Citi ThankYou, meaning you can transfer points earned from cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, Ink Plus® Business Credit Card, Citi Prestige® Card, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card, The Business Platinum® Card from American Express OPEN, etc.
You can hold your award ticket prior to transferring points by calling the FlyingBlue call center.
Promo Awards are always worth checking out, and the past few months we’ve seen more eligible city pairs than before. This time around we’re seeing a lot more than usual in economy, though in many cases they’re markets where we don’t otherwise see Promo Awards, like San Francisco. While 25% off isn’t a deal you absolutely have to jump on, if this coincides with your travel plans it’s absolutely worth considering.
Availability is good in both economy and business class, so if you’re looking for a good value transatlantic redemption, I’d consider one of these awards.
Also keep in mind that today is the last day to book the October Promo Awards, which are excellent as well, so be sure to check those out.
Is anyone considering one of the Promo Awards on the November list?