In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
Update: This offer for the Citi Prestige® Card is expired. Learn more about the current offer here.
For those of you who are SPG loyalists and stay at Starwood properties a lot, here’s a great way to pick up an extra 5,000 Starpoints.
You can earn 5,000 bonus Starpoints if you pay for 15 or more eligible Starwood nights with any American Express card between October 18 and December 18, 2016.
The basics of this promotion are as follows:
- Registration is required, though previously booked stays qualify as long as they’re consumed during the promotion period
- You can pay with any American Express card and qualify for this bonus, though personally I’d recommend using the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express, given that it offers double Starpoints on stays to begin with
- Only stays that you can credit to SPG qualify (meaning Marriott and Ritz-Carlton properties don’t qualify towards this promotion)
- Bonus Starpoints should post 2-4 weeks after the last eligible stay
- Full terms & conditions here
This bonus isn’t a reason to switch any stays to SPG as you’re basically earning an extra ~333 Starpoints per night over 15 nights, but it’s also a promotion worth being aware of. For example, in my case it will certainly cause me to pay for all my stays over the next two months with the SPG Amex, when I might otherwise use the Chase Sapphire Reserve℠ Card or Citi Prestige® Card, given that they offer triple points on hotel stays (which I value slightly more than double Starpoints).
I value Starpoints at ~2.2 cents each, so to me this is an extra return of ~$7 per night. However, this is in addition to Starwood’s current global promotion, More For You, which offers up to triple Starpoints on stays.
On top of that, Starwood also frequently has targeted Member Exclusive promotions, so you can triple dip all three promotions.
This promotion will only really benefit those who stay a lot of nights with SPG, as 15 elite nights over two months is a high threshold. If you’re someone who is in that camp, this promotion is a great way to earn 5,000 bonus Starpoints. This will cause me to change my behavior somewhat, as I’ll be putting my Starwood spend on my SPG card rather than another card offering triple points.
I do wonder whether they’ll actually be tracking which card you use for all 15 nights. In theory I suppose it’s possible, but you can use any Amex card, so it’s not like it’s linked to one specific card.
Do you plan on taking advantage of this promotion?