In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
Yesterday Amex announced a killer new promotion which will get people putting Amex cards at the front of their wallets. Amex is offering double base points for purchases at eligible small businesses through the end of the year. This applies across most of their personal and small business cards, and will certainly cause me to shift some spend to my Amex cards.
The best Amex cards for small business spend
Ordinarily my favorite cards for small business spend are The Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card from American Express, Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express, and Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express:
- The Amex EveryDay Preferred Card offers 3x points for purchases at U.S. supermarkets, 2x points at U.S. gas stations, and 1x points on everything else; you earn a 50% points bonus when you make 30 transactions per billing cycle
- The SPG Amex offers one Starpoint per dollar spent, though I consider Starpoints to be the single most valuable points currency
- The Amex Premier Rewards Gold offers 3x points on airfare purchased directly with airlines, 2x points at U.S. restaurants, U.S. gas stations, and U.S. supermarkets
So ordinarily when I’m deciding which card to put non-bonused spend on, the math is as follows:
- The Amex EveryDay Preferred Card offers a return of ~2.55% (I value Membership Rewards points at ~1.7 cents each, and you can earn 1.5x points)
- The SPG Amex offers a return of ~2.2% (I value Starpoints at ~2.2 cents each)
As you can see, the EveryDay Preferred Card ordinarily has the edge.
Do double points change which card is best?
No matter which of the above three cards you use, you’ll earn an additional point (either Membership Rewards or Starpoint) per dollar spent. That means:
- The Amex EveryDay Preferred Card now offers up to 2.5x Membership Rewards points at small businesses, which I value at ~4.25%
- The SPG Amex now offers two Starpoints per dollar spent at small businesses, which I value at ~4.4%
Of course you’ll want to put gas station and supermarket spend on the EveryDay Preferred, and you’ll want to put restaurants on the Premier Rewards Gold, assuming you want to earn Amex points and have those cards.
This is a great promotion which will cause me to put virtually all small business purchases on my Amex cards. The way I see it, under this promotion the EveryDay Preferred and SPG Amex are basically equal in terms of the return they offer at small businesses. I’d go with the card that offers whichever points you have more of a need for at the moment. You can’t go wrong either way.
Now that Amex is offering double points at small businesses, what Amex card will you be using for your everyday spend?
Non-Affiliate Product Disclaimer: The information for the AmEx Everyday Preferred has been collected independently by One Mile At A Time. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.