In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
Update: These offers for the Delta SkyMiles® Credit Cards are expired. Learn more about the current offer here.
Historically American Express has championed Small Business Saturday, where they try to encourage people to shop at small businesses on the Saturday after Thanksgiving. In past years they’ve given cardmembers an incentive to do so. Unfortunately they didn’t last year, and while we know Small Business Saturday is returning this year, we don’t know if they’ll offer cardmembers any rewards for participating.
However, Amex has just announced a huge promotion encouraging people to shop at small businesses for the rest of the year.
American Express is offering double points when you shop at small businesses with your enrolled Amex card through December 31, 2016.
The basic terms of this promotion are as follows:
- Enrollment is required for each card individually
- Only merchants listed on the Shop Small Map are eligible for this offer, and those merchants are subject to change
- Both primary and authorized cardmembers are eligible for the promotion; just register the primary cardmember, and the authorized cardmembers will automatically earn bonus points as well
- Bonus points should post 10-12 weeks after the end of the promotion
- You’re capped on earning bonus points on the first $100,000 worth of spend on personal cards and $250,000 worth of spend on business cards
You’ll want to see this page for a listing of all cards eligible for this offer. This lists the eligible cards, how many bonus points you’re capped at, etc. As you’ll see, this offer includes many of Amex’s co-branded credit cards.
So not only can you earn a bonus Membership Rewards point per dollar spent on cards like The Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card from American Express and Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, but it also works on cards like the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express, Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express, etc.
American Express has been losing market share to some of their competitors lately, but I think this is a brilliant promotion, as it will cause people to put Amex cards at the top of their wallets when visiting small businesses. I’m most excited about:
- Being able to earn additional points on non-bonused spend, including two Starpoints per dollar spent with the SPG Amex or 2.5x Membership Rewards points per dollar spent with the Amex EveryDay Preferred Card (which you earn as long as you make at least 30 transactions per billing cycle)
- Earning up to 5.5x Membership Rewards points per dollar spent at independent grocery stores using the Amex EveryDay Preferred Card
What do you make of Amex’s new small business promotion? Will it impact which card you use at small businesses?
(Tip of the hat to Deals We Like)