In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
Update: The public offers for the Delta SkyMiles® Credit Cards are expired. The higher offer is still available through the refer-a-friend program, as outlined below.
A few credit card companies will let you earn bonus points for referring your friends to cards you already have. After all, what better way to market a card than to have satisfied customers tell their friends about it?
American Express offers one of these refer-a-friend programs. As some of you may recall, there are some limited time increased sign-up bonuses on the Delta American Express Cards at the moment, including the following cards:
- Gold Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card from American Express — 50K SkyMiles after completing minimum spend; $50 Delta statement credit; annual fee waived the first year
- Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Business Credit Card From American Express — 70K SkyMiles after completing minimum spend; 10K bonus MQMs; $100 Delta statement credit; $195 annual fee
- Gold Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express — 50K SkyMiles after completing minimum spend; $50 Delta statement credit; annual fee waived the first year
- Platinum Delta SkyMiles® Credit Card from American Express — 70K SkyMiles after completing minimum spend; 10K bonus MQMs; $100 Delta statement credit; $195 annual fee
While you usually earn 5,000 bonus miles for each friend you refer to one of the above cards, at the moment American Express is offering 10,000 bonus miles for each friend you refer to the Delta Amex, which is double the usual bonus. In order to earn the higher bonus, just use the special site 10kforyou.com — if you just go through American Express’ usual site you’ll just see the 5,000 mile bonus.
There you’ll be asked which product you want to refer someone to. You can only refer people to the same card product you have. You’ll be prompted to enter their name and email address, and then they’ll receive an email inviting them to apply with the increased bonus as well.
It can take a while for the emails to arrive (sometimes it takes 5-10 minutes, sometimes longer), so you’ll want to tell your friends to be patient. Alternatively, you can just email yourself an invitation and then copy the application link in the email address, and then send it to your friends directly.
The basic terms of this promotion are as follows:
- Bonus miles should post 6-8 weeks after your referred friend is approved for the card (though in practice miles may post much sooner)
- You can earn up to 55,000 Delta SkyMiles per year through this program
- The 10,000 miles per referral promotion is valid through February 1, 2017 (which isn’t to say that the current increased sign-up bonuses on the cards will last that long)
- You can only refer people to exactly the kind of card you have
The increased sign-up bonuses on the Delta American Express cards are compelling, so if you have one of the cards and want to refer a friend, be sure to go through this site. Meanwhile if you don’t yet have one of the Delta Amex cards, I’d definitely recommend signing up for one. Then you can potentially still refer friends to any of those cards.