One of the best uses of Air France/KLM FlyingBlue miles is booking their Promo Awards.
FlyingBlue publishes these every month, and they offer 20-50% off select award tickets on Air France and KLM metal.
Back in the day Promo Awards would consistently be for 50% off and would have a good number of options in business class, though unfortunately they’ve devalued the promotion somewhat since then, and the discounts are now pretty consistently for 25% off. That’s still very good, just not as good.
FlyingBlue just published their latest Promo Awards. These are valid for bookings made between October 1 and October 31, 2016 (meaning they’ll be bookable starting tomorrow), and for travel between December 1 and January 31, 2016 (though exact dates vary):
FlyingBlue has just published their October list of Promo Awards, which has the potential to be pretty lucrative. These include the following 25% off awards between North America and Europe (including seven discounted business class awards):
- Atlanta to Europe in KLM business class (travel December 1 through December 31)
- Mexico City to Europe in KLM business class (travel December 1 through December 31)
- Washington to Europe in KLM business class (travel December 1 through December 31)
- Detroit to Europe in Air France business class (travel December 1 through December 31)
- Chicago to Europe in KLM business class (travel December 1 through January 31)
- Houston to Europe in Air France business class (travel December 1 through January 31)
- New York to Europe in KLM business class (travel December 1 through January 31)
- Washington to Europe in Air France economy class (travel January 1 through January 31)
With these discounts you’ll be paying:
- 18,750 miles one-way in economy class, rather than the usual price of 25,000 miles
- 46,875 miles one-way in business class, rather than the usual price of 62,500 miles
With any of these awards, you can include connections to other points in Europe (including Israel) from Paris and Amsterdam at no additional cost, though you can’t include domestic segments on Delta or Alaska to position within North America.
All saver level space on Air France and KLM in the above markets is eligible for the discounted costs, and these awards are bookable directly on the FlyingBlue website. Availability on these routes is excellent, and starting tomorrow you should see saver level award space priced at the above levels.
As always, there are plenty of routes outside of North America as well, so be sure to take a look at the whole list.
Depending on your travel plans these can represent excellent values.
As a reminder, FlyingBlue is transfer partners with Amex Membership Rewards, Chase Ultimate Rewards, and Citi ThankYou, meaning you can transfer points earned from cards like the Chase Sapphire Preferred® Card, Ink Plus® Business Credit Card, Citi Prestige® Card, Citi ThankYou® Premier Card, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card, etc.
You can hold your award ticket prior to transferring points by calling the FlyingBlue call center.
Promo Awards are always worth checking out, and in this case we’re seeing even more awards out of North America than I recall seeing in a very long time. While 25% off isn’t a deal you absolutely have to jump on, if this coincides with your travel plans it’s absolutely worth considering.
Availability is good in both economy and business class, so if you’re looking for a good value transatlantic redemption, I’d consider one of these awards.
Also keep in mind that today is the last day to book the September Promo Awards, which are excellent as well, so be sure to check those out.
Is anyone considering one of the Promo Awards on the October list?