In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
Starwood’s “More For You” promotion
Here are the basic details of Starwood’s upcoming promotion:
- Registration opens September 12, 2016
- Valid for stays between September 12 and December 18, 2016
- Earn double base Starpoints on weekday stays of at least two nights
- Earn triple base Starpoints on weekend stays of at least two nights (those that include a Friday or Saturday night, or in the Middle East a Thursday or Friday night)
- As usual there will be a list of non-participating hotels, though that list hasn’t been made available yet
Ultimately this is very similar to the past several promotions that Starwood has been running, as we haven’t really seen much creativity in that regard — the promotions have mostly offered double or triple points depending on the type of stay.
To crunch the numbers, with Starwood you ordinarily earn:
- 2x Starpoints per dollar spent
- Additional 1x Starpoint per dollar spent if you’re a Gold or Platinum member
- Additional 1x Starpoint per dollar spent if you’re a 75 night Platinum member
- Additional 2x Starpoints per dollar spent if you pay with the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express or Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express
So as a 100+ night per year Platinum member paying with my SPG Amex I’d earn a total of 8x Starpoints per dollar spent on weekday stays of at least two nights, and 10x Starpoints on weekend stays of at least two nights. I value Starpoints at ~2.2 cents each, so to me that’s a return of ~18-22% on Starwood spend for stays of two or more nights at participating hotels.
Ultimately the promotion isn’t a reason to switch any stays to Starwood, but if you’re going to stay at a Starwood property anyway, you may as well earn bonus points.
Win Starpoints before the next promotion even starts
While promotion registration only opens on September 12, Starwood is offering some prizes through the promotion’s webpage through September 11. You can enter once daily for your chance to instantly win 1,000, 5,000, or 10,000 Starpoints, or one free night award.
After entering your SPG number you’ll be prompted to select a “card.” Each card tells you stuff about one of Starwood’s brands. Once you reveal the card, you’ll be informed whether you’re a winner or not.
I played today and lost, so personally I don’t see myself going back every day to play, though I’m sure others will feel differently.
What do you make of Starwood’s new More For You promotion?