In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
Update: This offer for the Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® is expired. Learn more about the current offer here.
Update: This offer for the Citi Prestige® Card is expired. Learn more about the current offer here.
Update: This offer for the Citi® Hilton HHonors™ Visa Signature® Card is expired. You can find the current offer details here.
Yesterday I posted about how Citi is in the process of adding further restrictions when applying for their credit cards. Under the old rules you could only get a sign-up bonus on a particular card every 24 months, while under the new rules you can only get one sign-bonus per “type” of card every 24 months.
To give an example, the Citi Prestige Card used to list the following terms:
Bonus ThankYou Points not available if you have had a Citi Prestige card opened or closed in the past 24 months
Now the Citi Prestige® Card lists the following terms:
Bonus ThankYou points are not available if you have had ThankYou Preferred, ThankYou Premier or Citi Prestige card opened or closed in the past 24 months.
In terms of Citi’s most popular cards, this means:
- The Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card and Citi® Hilton HHonors Reserve Card qualify as the same “type” of card
- The Citi Prestige® Card and Citi ThankYou Premier Card qualify as the same “type” of card
- The Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ MasterCard® and Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® qualify as the same “type” of card
Doctor of Credit notes that they spoke to a media contact, and that the new Citi application rules don’t go into effect until August 29, 2016, meaning you still have a bit over two weeks under the old rules. I can’t personally confirm this is true, but Doctor of Credit is usually spot on.
Citi’s current application rules
Citi’s policy on new credit card applications is as follows:
- You can only apply for one Citi card every eight days
- You can apply for no more than two Citi cards every 65 days
Furthermore, under the previous rules, you couldn’t earn the bonus on a card if you had it opened or closed in the past 24 months.
5 cards to consider applying for
With the above in mind, you potentially still have a bit over two weeks to apply for Citi cards under the old rules, so you could potentially pick up two credit cards. Which cards are worth considering? Here are my five top picks:
- While the sign-up bonus on the Citi Prestige® Card isn’t what it once was, this card still has fantastic benefits, and still has many of its best perks through July 23, 2017; if you haven’t yet applied for the card, I really think it makes sense to do so now
- The Citi® Hilton HHonors Reserve Card offers a great sign-up bonus of two free weekend nights at any Hilton family property after completing minimum spend, offers you Gold status for as long as you have the card, an annual free weekend night certificate when you spend $10,000 per year on the card, etc.; it’s a fantastic hotel card
- If you’re looking for a no annual fee alternative, the Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card is offering a limited time sign-up bonus of 75,000 points upon completing minimum spend
- The Citi® / AAdvantage® Executive World Elite™ MasterCard® has a very nice sign-up bonus of 60,000 AAdvantage miles upon completing minimum spend, plus it comes with Admirals Club access for you and all your authorized users (which is a huge perk)
- The Citi® / AAdvantage® Platinum Select® World Elite™ Mastercard® is offering 50,000 AAdvantage bonus miles upon completing minimum spend, plus a waived annual fee the first year
Redeem your free weekend nights at the Conrad Koh Samui
Assuming you haven’t applied for any Citi cards in the past 65 days (or so), you can potentially still get approved for two Citi credit cards by August 28, by applying at least eight days apart.
Furthermore, when deciding, you may want to prioritize a card where you already have the other one of the same “type” of card. In other words, if you already have the Citi® Hilton HHonors Reserve Card, it might make sense to apply for the Citi Hilton HHonors Visa Signature Card, since you otherwise wouldn’t be eligible for that bonus for a very long time.
Are you planning on picking up any Citi cards in the coming weeks before these rule changes supposedly kick in?