Marriott’s global summer promotion, valid for stays between May 25 and September 5, 2016, is now open for registration.
As is the norm with Marriott Rewards, the promotion may be targeted, meaning different members may be eligible for different versions of the offer. You can see if you’re eligible by logging into your Marriott Rewards account here.
Here’s the promotion I was targeted for:
Earn bonus points this summer – and get our lowest rates all the time:
- Register by September 5, 2016
- Stay at participating properties between May 24 and September 5, 2016
- Earn 2,000 bonus points on every paid stay*, starting with your second stay, up to 10,000 bonus points
- Receive an additional sweepstakes entry with every stay**
Registration is required before the end of the promotion, and bonus points should post 3-5 days after eligible stays.
In and of itself this strikes me as a lame promotion. I value Marriott Rewards points at ~0.8 cents each, so while 2,000 bonus points for a one night stay isn’t bad (it’s a return of ~$16), this promotion only kicks in starting with the second stay, and is capped at five stays. After that you earn sweepstakes entries… yay?
Keep in mind other people may be targeted for different promotions. If you don’t yet see a new promotion in your Marriott Rewards account, give it a couple of days, as it sometimes takes a while for other offers to be loaded.
To compare this promotion to what’s being offered by other hotel loyalty programs, here are the other summer promotions we’re seeing:
- Through August 31, 2016, Hilton is offering double base points on all stays
- Through July 31, 2016 and for stays of two or more nights, Starwood is offering up to triple base Starpoints at Sheraton, up to double base Starpoints at other hotels, and 1,000 bonus points for weekend stays
- Through June 30, 2016, Hyatt is offering tiered bonuses on the purchase of points, up to 75,000 bonus points after 25 nights
Marriott’s promotion is better than nothing, though personally I don’t find it especially rewarding. While the bonus of 2,000 points per stay isn’t bad for short stays, it only kicks in after the first stay, and is capped at five stays.
Are you eligible for this version of the Marriott offer, or do you see another type of offer?