In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
Registration has just opened for Starwood Preferred Guest’s next global promotion, called SPG Triple Up.
This promotion is valid for stays of two or more nights between May 9 and July 31, 2016, and offers the following:
- 3x Starpoints at Sheraton hotels and resorts (4 bonus Starpoints per dollar spent)
- 2x Starpoints at all other brands (2 bonus Starpoints per dollar spent)
- An extra 1,000 Starpoints for stays that include a Friday or Saturday night (Thursday or Friday in the Middle East)
As usual, not all properties are participating in the promotion, so see the list of participating hotels and resorts for whether the hotel you’re planning on staying at is eligible. Registration is required by July 17, 2016, and bonus points should post 2-4 weeks after the qualifying stay posts. Full terms can be found here.
To crunch the numbers, with Starwood you ordinarily earn:
- 2x Starpoints per dollar spent
- Additional 1x Starpoint per dollar spent if you’re a Gold or Platinum member
- Additional 1x Starpoint per dollar spent if you’re a 75 night Platinum member
- Additional 2x Starpoints per dollar spent if you pay with the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express or Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express
So as a 100+ night per year Platinum member I’d earn a total of eight Starpoints per dollar spent at Sheraton, and six Starpoints per dollar spent at all other brands, for stays of two or more nights. If paying with the SPG Amex I’d earn an additional two Starpoints per dollar spent, for a total of 8-10 Starpoints per dollar spent. I value Starpoints at ~2.2 cents each, so to me that’s a return of ~18-22% on Starwood spend for stays of two or more nights at participating hotels.
Keep in mind this can be stacked with Starwood’s promotion offering two bonus Delta SkyMiles per dollar spent at US properties through June 30, 2016.
It can also be stacked with the targeted SPG Exclusive Offers promotions which have been circulating. For example, I’m eligible for double elite qualifying nights through June 30, 2016.
This promotion is better than nothing, but between the non-participating hotels and the two night minimum stay requirement, it isn’t especially compelling. What I’m most incentivized by at the moment are the double elite qualifying nights, though that’s a targeted offer.
Anyway, I’d recommend registering for the SPG Triple Up promotion as soon as possible, so you don’t later forget.