Last November I wrote about the exciting new marketing partnership between Starwood and Design Hotels. Design Hotels is a group of almost 300 independent hotels around the world, all of which are selected for their emphasis on style and design.
While Design Hotels is Starwood’s 11th brand, it works a bit differently than the others. Starwood’s 10 other brands are fully integrated into the Starwood Preferred Guest program, while Design Hotels only has a “marketing partnership” with Starwood.
Here’s how SPG benefits at Design Hotels work:
- SPG members will receive high-speed internet access and complimentary bottled water in-room
- Gold and Platinum members will automatically receive a Starpoints bonus as their welcome gift
- SPG members only earn Starpoints and elite qualifying stays/nights if they’re booking through Starwood channels
- Starpoints can be accrued at the same rate as at other SPG properties:
- 2 Starpoints per dollar spent for base members
- 3 Starpoints per dollar spent for Gold and Platinum members
- 4 Starpoints per dollar spent for 75 night Platinum members
- Those paying with the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express or Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express will earn 2 Starpoints per dollar spent at Design Hotels, just as they would at other Starwood properties
Initially it wasn’t possible to redeem Starpoints at Design Hotels, though as of the beginning of this month it has been possible to redeem Starpoints for stays there. Free night redemptions follow the traditional award rates, depending on the hotel’s category (they range from one to seven).
It’s worth noting that Starwood has just launched a promotion for staying at Design Hotels. Through this promotion you can earn one free night certificate valid at any SPG Category 1-5 property after you stay three nights at Design Hotels between March 16 and May 31, 2016.
Here’s how the promotion is described, per Starwood Lurker:
You’ve been earning and redeeming Starpoints with Design Hotels. Now is your chance to experience unique hotels in amazing locations while earning free nights. Starting today, take advantage of this exclusive offer to earn SPG free night awards while getting to know our newest brand. Earn one Free Night Award for every three eligible paid nights at Design Hotels between March 16 – May 31, 2016. You can earn up to two Free Night Awards during the promotion period. Awards can be redeemed at any Category 1 – 5 Starwood hotel & resort through September 30, 2016.
To take advantage of this offer, register by May 16 at spg.com/dh and then book your next stay at Design Hotels here. As always, stays must be booked through spg.com, the SPG app or Customer Contact Centers.
You can earn up to two free night certificates, meaning you’ll be rewarded through this promotion for your first six nights at Design Hotels. The free night certificates should post within 2-4 weeks of the eligible stays posting to the SPG accounts, and they’re valid through September 30, 2016.
Registration is required, and remember that you have to book through an SPG channel to even be able to earn Starpoints for a Design Hotels stay.
This promotion is also stackable with a couple of others Starwood is running at the moment, including the following:
- Starwood’s Take Two promotion, valid for stays through April 30, 2016 — earn 2x points at all properties for stays of two or more nights, plus 250 bonus Starpoints per night for stays at select properties
- Earn up to 11,000 bonus Starpoints for staying at Starwood’s 11 hotel brands in 2016
I’ve been wanting to stay at a Design Hotels property, despite them not being fully integrated into Starwood. Some of the properties look incredible, so are worth forgoing some elite benefits in order to try. This promotion might just be the push I needed. A free night redemption at a Category 5 property can cost up to 16,000 Starpoints per night, so that’s a potentially very nice bonus for spending three nights at one of these properties, in addition to all the points you’d otherwise earn.
Have you stayed at a Design Hotels property yet? Will this promotion cause you to do so?
(Tip of the hat to View from the Wing)