However, American is the first airline to partner with Uber, which is pretty awesome.
While the partnership between Uber and Starwood has substantial benefits (SPG members earn Starpoints for Uber rides), the partnerships since then have been less useful.
Here’s what the partnership between American and Uber consists of:
- The American app will let you set Uber ride reminders; when you get your e-ticket, you can click on the “Remind me to Uber” icon to set a reminder for the ride
- New Uber customers can get $20 off their first ride by registering with code RIDEAA (better than the standard $15 off new member bonus)
- American Executive Platinum members will be emailed a unique code for $25 off a one-time Uber ride, regardless of whether they’re Uber members or not; this is valid for those with Executive Platinum status as of March 1, 2016, and these codes will be sent out to members in March
- Through July 31, 2016, those who use the AAdvantage Aviator MasterCard as their method of payment with Uber will receive a total of three miles per dollar spent on Uber; the two bonus miles per dollar spent will post after the promotion ends
As I mentioned at the time, the $25 one-time Uber code for Executive Platinum members was to be emailed out at some point in March.
If you’re an Executive Platinum member check your email, because American has sent out the Executive Platinum Uber codes in the past 24 hours.
Yesterday I received the following email from American:
We recently announced our partnership with Uber, which streamlines your travel experience, getting you exactly where you need to be. But we’re not stopping there.
Together, we’d like to congratulate you on reaching AAdvantage® Executive Platinum status for 2016 and offer you a special reward. Through December 31, 2016, you can get $25 off your next Uber ride, simply by using the promo code below.
One time use promo code:
Plus, don’t forget: When you use your AAdvantage® Aviator™ MasterCard® as the method of payment for Uber purchases, you will earn 2 additional bonus miles for every $1 spent now through July 31, 2016. Total bonus miles will be awarded after the promotion ends.1
The way I see it, there are only two substantial benefits to the partnership between American and Uber:
- They’re offering a better than usual first ride bonus for those signing up using promotion code RIDEAA
- They’re offering Executive Platinum members a one-time $25 Uber code
Aside from that I don’t see much long term value. Being able to set ride reminders or earn an extra mile per dollar spent on Uber with American’s co-branded credit card isn’t especially compelling, given the other great credit cards for maximizing Uber spend.
The partnership between Uber and Starwood remains the most valuable one.
If you’re an Executive Platinum member, have you received your $25 Uber credit?