In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
Update: This limited-time offer is expired. You can learn more about the best available offers here!
This is the biggest sign-up bonus we’ve ever seen on this card.
The normal sign-up bonus on the SPG Amex offers up to 25,000 Starpoints upon completing minimum spend. Then historically they’ve offered an increased sign-up bonus of 30,000 Starpoints once per year.
SPG Amex sign-up bonus details
Now we’re seeing a sign-up bonus of up to 35,000 Starpoints, which is the highest bonus ever. Here are the details of the sign-up bonus:
- For the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express, get 25,000 bonus Starpoints after you use your new card to make $3,000 in purchases within three months. Then, earn an extra 10,000 bonus Starpoints® after you make an additional $2,000 in purchases within the first 6 months. There’s a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95
- For the Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express, get 25,000 bonus Starpoints after you use your new card to make $3,000 in purchases within three months. Then, earn an extra 10,000 bonus Starpoints® after you make an additional $2,000 in purchases within the first 6 months. There’s a $0 introductory annual fee for the first year, then $95
This bonus is valid through April 5th, 2017.
To me Starpoints are the single most valuable points currency out there — I value Starpoints at 2.2 cents each. So the 35,000 point sign-up bonus is worth $770 to me. That’s a very nice sign-up bonus, especially for a card which is actually worth holding onto long term.
I value Starpoints so much because of how flexible they are. You can redeem them efficiently for hotel stays, and also for points transfers to over two dozen airline partners. Points convert into miles at a 1:1 ratio, and you get a 5,000 mile bonus for every 20,000 points transferred, which means you’re essentially earning 1.25 airline miles per Starpoint.
SPG Amex card benefits
Last June these cards underwent a refresh, where we saw the following changes:
- The elimination of foreign transaction fees
- Complimentary unlimited Boingo wifi
- Complimentary in-room premium internet access
- Sheraton club lounge access (for those with the SPG Business Amex)
- The annual fee being raised by $30 per year, from $65 to $95 (the first year’s annual fee is $0, though)
This comes in addition to the existing perks, perhaps the most valuable of which (to me) is the two elite qualifying stays and five elite qualifying nights towards status that each card offers annually. That means just for having both cards I receive four elite qualifying stays and 10 elite qualifying nights towards status each year, which is huge.
Implications of the upcoming merger on the card
Marriott and Starwood are in the process of merging, which leaves a lot of uncertainty for members.
At some point the Marriott Rewards and Starwood Preferred Guest programs will be merged. What we don’t know yet is what will happen to the the two hotel chains’ credit cards, and whether American Express or Chase will take over the contract. We also don’t know at what rate Starpoints will be converted into Marriott Rewards points.
But that’s all the more reason to apply now:
- This card might not be available in the future (or it might be available as a new product), so this is a fantastic chance to apply for it before that happens
- Starpoints are extremely valuable, so this is a great chance to still earn them while you can redeem them at their current values, as I suspect the current program will be around at least through the end of the year
- This is the best bonus we’ve ever seen on the card, so I doubt we’ll see a better one at any point
If you don’t yet have the SPG Amex or SPG Business Amex, this is the best offer we’ve ever seen on the card, and I’d highly recommend applying. Not only is this sign-up bonus great, but the cards have long term value as well. My favorite perk is on the SPG Business Amex, which offers club lounge access at Sheraton properties. That’s a huge benefit for anyone who stays at Sheratons with any regularity.