One of the best uses of Air France/KLM FlyingBlue miles is booking their Promo Awards. FlyingBlue publishes these every month, and they offer 20-50% off select award tickets on Air France and KLM metal. Back in the day Promo Awards would consistently be for 50% off and would have a good number of options in business class, though unfortunately they’ve devalued the promotion somewhat since then, and the discounts now vary.
However, there are still some great deals to be had. FlyingBlue just published their latest Promo Awards. These are valid for bookings made between February 1 and February 29, 2016, and for travel between April 1 and May 31, 2016.
For this Promo Award period, there are six North American destinations on the list, all offering 25% off awards. Five of them are for business class, while one is in economy class. The eligible routes to/from North America are as follows:
- Europe to Edmonton / Business Class / KLM / 25% off
- Europe to Houston / Economy Class / Air France / 25% off
- Europe to Mexico City / Business Class / Air France / 25% off
- Europe to Montreal / Business Class / KLM / 25% off
- Europe to Salt Lake City / Business Class / KLM / 25% off
- Europe to Toronto / Business Class / KLM / 25% off
While I wish one of the Promo Awards were for 50% off business class, this is still quite a good list, as you have 25% off business class awards to five cities. That brings the one-way business class award cost to 46,875 miles. Availability for eligible cities is quite good. For example, here’s availability between Paris and Mexico City in April:
While Air France has carrier imposed surcharges on award tickets, they’re not nearly as bad as those charged by British Airways. For example, a one-way business class award ticket from Paris to Mexico will cost you ~$320, including taxes and fees (and there’s a fairly high departure tax for travel originating in Paris).
For context, here are some of the Promo Awards we’ve seen so far this year:
- January/February 2015 Promo Awards
- February/March 2015 Promo Awards
- March/April 2015 Promo Awards
- April/May 2015 Promo Awards
- May/June 2015 Promo Awards
- June/July 2015 Promo Awards
- July/August 2015 Promo Awards
- November/December 2015 Promo Awards
- January/February 2016 Promo Awards
- February/March 2016 Promo Awards
- March/April 2016 Promo Awards
Be sure to check out the full listing of Promo Awards, as there are plenty of Promo Awards for other regions as well.
As a reminder, FlyingBlue is transfer partners with Amex Membership Rewards and Citi ThankYou, meaning you can transfer points earned from cards like the Citi Prestige® Card, Premier Rewards Gold Card from American Express, Amex EveryDay® Preferred Credit Card, etc.
While the Promo Awards aren’t valuable to everyone, if they coincide with travel you have planned, they’re a pretty good deal. Hopefully some of you can take advantage of them, as there are six North American markets where you can get 25% off awards.
Do you plan on taking advantage of one of FlyingBlue’s Promo Awards?
Non-Affiliate Product Disclaimer: The information for the AmEx Everyday Preferred has been collected independently by One Mile At A Time. The card details on this page have not been reviewed or provided by the card issuer.