In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
Update: This offer for the Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express is expired. The current offer allows you to earn 2 Free Nights at participating SPG® Category 1-5 hotels & resorts worldwide after you use your new Card to make $5,000 in purchases within the first 3 months Learn more about the special offer here.
Starwood has just announced the details of their first quarter 2016 promotion, entitled SPG Take Two.
Through this promotion, Starwood members can earn the following bonuses for stays between January 11 and April 30, 2016:
- 2x Starpoints at all properties worldwide for stays of two or more nights
- 250 bonus Starpoints per night for stays at select properties worldwide
Registration is required, and bonus points earned through the promotion should post 2-4 weeks after the qualifying stay.
As mentioned above, the 250 bonus Starpoints per night are limited to participating properties, which are extremely limited this time around. So limited, in fact, that Starwood didn’t create a list of non-participating properties, but rather created a list of participating properties.
How many points do you earn with SPG Take Two?
With Starwood you ordinarily earn:
- 2 Starpoints per dollar spent
- Additional 1 Starpoint per dollar spent if you’re a Gold or Platinum member
- Additional 1 Starpoint per dollar spent if you’re a 75 night Platinum member
- Additional 2 Starpoints per dollar spent if you pay with the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express or Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express
That means through this promotion, a stay of two or more nights would earn you four Starpoints per dollar spent for a base member. On the other end of the spectrum, a 75 night Platinum member paying with the SPG Amex would earn eight Starpoints per dollar spent. Valuing Starpoints at ~2.2 cents each, that’s a return of ~18% for 75 night Platinum members paying with the co-branded card. Not bad, but also not worth planning your stays around.
Keep in mind that on top of that you earn 250 bonus Starpoints per night (even on one night stays) at select properties.
How does this compare to Starwood’s recent promotions?
- In the fall SPG offered “Stay For More,” whereby you earned double Starpoints on stays of two or more nights, plus an additional 500 Starpoints for stays of three or more nights
- In the spring SPG offered “Double Play,” whereby you earned double base Starpoints on stays of two or more nights, plus 1,000 bonus Starpoints after every five eligible nights, up to 4,000 bonus Starpoints
The “double Starpoints for stays of two or more nights” seems to be the new standard promotion, though I’d say this one is slightly better than past ones. The past two had a list of non-participating properties for the double Starpoints, while all properties earn double Starpoints through this promotion.
Signature bloody mary at the St. Regis Monarch Beach
This is a pretty standard promotion as far as Starwood goes, as they’ve offered a similar promotion twice in the past year. I wish we’d see some more creativity from hotel loyalty programs. This isn’t limited to Starwood, as all the major chains seem to more or less be recycling the same promotions.
I guess given the state of the hotel industry, we should be happy about any promotions at all.
The funny thing is that my next two Starwood stay will probably earn me more points than all of Starwood’s promotions in 2016 combined, between the 2,500 bonus Starpoints for using SPG Keyless, the 2,015 bonus Starpoints for staying at a Starwood property in December, the 9,000 bonus Starpoints for visiting nine SPG brands, and Starwood’s “Stay For More” promotion.
What do you make of Starwood’s first quarter 2016 promotion?