In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
The Etihad Guest program is offering a global 25% bonus offer right now, whereby you receive a 25% bonus when you convert points from partner programs to Etihad Guest.
The promotion is valid for transfers from the following partners through December 31, 2015:
The terms of the promotion are as follows:
- Bonus Etihad Guest Miles will be posted to your Etihad Guest Programme account within 7 days of the standard miles being transferred.
- Once the Miles transfer request in initiated it cannot be reversed.
- 25% Bonus Etihad Guest Miles transfer offer is valid from November 14th to December 31st 2015 (inclusive).
- This offer is subject to the Terms & Conditions of the Etihad Guest Programme.
- A valid Etihad Guest Miles membership number is required.
- Etisalat Rewards and Starwood Starpoints are excluded from this promotion.
- The promotion is applicable for any member who converts their Partner loyalty programmepoints to Etihad Guest Miles. The eligibility of the bonus for a specific member will be done basis validity ofthe promotion and the date of conversion provided by the partner for that respective member.
- Base Etihad Guest Miles requested for conversion by the member will be governed as per the applicableconversion ratios of the respective partners
- Bonus Etihad Guest Miles earned during this promotion will reflect in the member’s Etihad Guestmembership account within 10 days of the original Conversion of Etihad Guest Miles havebeen credited into the member’s account.
- If an Etihad Guest member holds credit cards and/or Hotel loyalty programme cards of differentbanks and hotels and converts the rewards points to Etihad Guest Miles under this promotion, then thenumber of Bonus Gutes Miles he/she will earn will reflect separately in the members account foreach partner
- The above promotion construct is valid only for the all Conversion Partners which fall under theRewards Conversion programme and governed by the conversion ratios and minimum thresholdsapplicable for these respective partners.
- Bonus Etihad Guest Miles will not be calculated on retroactive basis under any circumstances i.e. credit card/ hotel reward points converted to Etihad Guest Miles and posted into the membership account during thepromotion period but for which the conversion request was placed outside the promotion periodwill not qualify for the bonus miles promotion.
- Etihad Guest member will be responsible for quoting the correct Etihad Guest membership number to theparticipating conversion partners for the conversion activity.
- Terms and conditions governing the existing Conversion partners will apply.
- Etihad Guest reserves the right to withdraw or cancel the promotion or modify or alter the terms and conditions of such promotion at any time.
- Participation under this promotion is purely voluntary for the members.
- The decision of Etihad Guest will be final and binding under this promotion andno disputes will be entertained in this regard.
- Etihad Guest Miles once credited will not be reversed.
- This offer cannot be clubbed with any other conversion offer.
- Etihad Guest Miles accumulated under this offer will be governed by rules and regulations of Etihad Guest programmeme.
Transferring Citi ThankYou points to Etihad Guest
Chances are that the transfer program people will find most valuable is Citi, given that Etihad Guest is a Citi ThankYou transfer partner (this is the points currency you accrue on the Citi Prestige Card and the Citi ThankYou® Premier Card.
Ordinarily Citi ThankYou points would convert to Etihad Guest at a 1:1 ratio, so under this promotion you’d receive 1.25 Etihad Guest miles per ThankYou point. This transfer bonus is a bit backwards compared to what we might be used to. Typically when there’s a transfer bonus from a transferable points currency it shows up when you make the transfer request. In this case, the bonus is on Etihad’s end, so you’d receive the bonus after you make the points transfer.
When you get to the Citi ThankYou Rewards website you’ll see the usual transfer rate of 1,000 ThankYou Rewards points per 1,000 Etihad Guest miles. However the 25% bonus will post to your Etihad Guest account within seven days of your original activity.
As far as non-US airlines go, Etihad Guest actually has fairly reasonable redemption rates. The program had a devaluation in June of this year, but there are still some good values to be had. Etihad has a roughly distance based award chart, so your best way to look up prices is to just go to the Etihad award search tool and look up what they’re charging.
Just to give a few examples of business class redemption rates…
Abu Dhabi to Muscat in business class will run you ~13,000 miles one-way:
Abu Dhabi to London in business class will run you ~66,000 miles one-way:
Abu Dhabi to Washington in business class will run you ~91,000 miles one-way:
For the most part I’d say those aren’t amazing redemption rates, but with the 25% bonus they’re certainly more attractive.
Is this how I’d redeem Citi ThankYou points?
- Personally I wouldn’t, because I have tons of American miles, and those can be redeemed for travel on Etihad
- I find the best value of Citi ThankYou points to be:
- Transferring the points to Singapore Airlines KrisFlyer, as they have fantastic redemption rates for travel in Singapore Suites Class
- Transferring the points to Air France FlyingBlue, as they can be a great value for travel in Air France’s new business class and for travel on some other partner airlines
Redeem ThankYou points for travel in Singapore Suites Class
So personally this isn’t how I’d choose to redeem the ThankYou points I earn through the Citi Prestige Card and the Citi ThankYou® Premier Card, but depending on what redemptions you’re eying, this might not be a half bad option.
It’s nice to see some transfer bonuses from Citi ThankYou partners. In many cases Etihad Guest can be a pretty good value, so if you’re planning travel on Etihad and have a lot of ThankYou points, it might be worth considering taking advantage of this promotion.
If you’ve been collecting ThankYou points, what do you plan on redeeming them for?