It’s possible to redeem American Express Membership Rewards points for Amazon purchases. The value isn’t very good, as each Membership Rewards point gets you roughly 0.7 cents towards the cost of an Amazon purchase. I value Membership Rewards points at significantly more than twice that much.
That being said, there’s a promotion at the moment which makes it worth redeeming Membership Rewards points for an Amazon purchase. Or perhaps more accurately, redeeming one Membership Rewards point for an Amazon purchase. 😉
Amazon is offering $15 off when you spend $50 or more and you use Amex Membership Rewards points for part of your purchase. Simply use promotion code SWP9AXP15 at check-out. The promotion is valid through November 13, 2015, or as long as supplies last, whichever comes first.
You just need a card which is linked to the American Express Membership Rewards program, and then on the payment page you want to choose the option whereby you can pay with Membership Rewards points. I’d recommend paying off just one cent using Membership Rewards points, given that redeeming Membership Rewards points for Amazon purchases doesn’t represent a very good value.
From there you’ll want to enter promotion code SWP9AXP15 in the box on the checkout page, where you’ll see the $15 in savings reflected.
There are a few things worth specifically pointing out:
- If you’re an existing Amazon member you can take advantage of the promotion right away; if you’re not, you need to wait 72 hours before being eligible
- This offer is only available to those who haven’t paid for an Amazon purchase using Membership Rewards points in the past 24 months
- You can only earn the bonus once per eligible Membership Rewards card
Here are the full terms of the promotion:
1. This is a limited time offer. The promotion will end at 11:59 PT on 11/13/2015, or while supplies last. The promotion code will expire concurrently.
2. You must have an Amazon.com account to redeem the promotion code. If you are creating a new Amazon.com account, please be aware that it may take up to 72 hours before your promotion code will be accepted and applied. Accordingly, you must create a new account on or before 11/10/2015 in order to redeem the promotion code.
3. Offer applies only to the purchase of at least $50 of eligible products, where Membership Rewards points are used for at least a portion of the purchase and the promotion code is entered at checkout. Taxes, gift-wrap, and shipping and handling charges do not apply when determining minimum purchase amount.
4. The maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is $15 per eligible Membership Rewards enrolled Card.
5. Enter the promotion code at checkout through the Amazon.com shopping cart. After redeeming the code, a credit of $15 will be automatically applied to your eligible purchase as long as Membership Rewards points are selected as your method of payment, at least one Membership Rewards point is used for the purchase and your shopping cart contains at least $50 of eligible products.
6. Offer is not available to American Express Membership Rewards eligible cards whose points have been previously used for purchases at Amazon.com in the past twenty four months.
7. Offer does not apply to the purchase of digital content.
8. Offer only applies to eligible products sold by Amazon.com.
9. Items must be purchased in a single order and shipped at the same speed to a single address.
10. Shipping charges may apply to discounted promotional items.
11. Limit one promotion code per Membership Rewards eligible card.
12. Offer may not be combined with other offers.
13. Offer is available by invitation only, is non-transferable, is not redeemable for cash, and may not be resold.
14. Amazon.com reserves the right to cancel or modify this offer at any time.
15. Offer discount will be allocated proportionally among all promotional items in your order.
16. If you violate any of these terms, the offer will be invalid. If any of the products related to this offer are returned, your refund will equal the amount you paid for the product, subject to applicable refund policies.
17. Promotional codes (including those placed directly in accounts) may not be redeemed for Amazon Gift Cards.
18. This promotion is available only to Amazon.com customers with an eligible American Express card issued in the United States.
As far as I’m concerned a discount on an Amazon purchase is just about as good as cash. So this promotion puts $15 back in my pocket, which is pretty awesome for basically no work.
Were you able to take advantage of the $15 Amazon discount through Amex?
(Tip of the hat to FrequentMiler)