IHG’s fall 2015 promotion is called Accelerate, which is coming in the form of targeted offers for different members. Most of IHG’s promotions lately seem to be targeted, whereby they’re really trying to change peoples’ individual stay patterns.
Anyway, IHG has let me know that there’s another promotion which will be announced this week, with the following details (the links in the post don’t work yet, as the promotion isn’t live):
Beginning this week, IHG Rewards Club members who are U.S. residents can register for a new promotion called “Priceless Surprises” from IHG and Mastercard. Details follow.
- Register at ihg.com/surprises starting this week
- Use a Mastercard* to book and stay at any IHG hotel in the world between Nov. 15, 2015 – Feb. 15, 2016 (Guests can check out up to Feb. 29, 2016 as long as they have checked in by Feb. 15, 2016)
- On the first stay, members will receive 1,000 IHG Rewards Club bonus points
- On the second stay, and every single stay thereafter, guests will receive a Priceless Surprise every time. Priceless Surprises can include:
- Priceless trips to New York City, Orlando or Paris
- One million IHG Rewards Club Points
- $50 prepaid Mastercard gift card
- A free night at any IHG hotel in the world … and more
*NO PURCHASE NECESSARY. VOID WHERE PROHIBITED. Open only to Mastercard® individual and small business cardholders whose account was opened by a Mastercard customer financial institution before November 15, 2015 and is still active, who are legal permanent residents of the 50 United States (D.C) who are at least 21 years old and the age of majority at the time of entry, and who register for the Instant Win Game, and are enrolled in the IHG® Rewards Club program. Ends 2/29/16. To play and for Official Rules, including odds, alternate method of entry, and prize descriptions visit ihg.com/surprises. Void where prohibited.
So while you earn 1,000 points after your first stay, everything after that is a mystery bonus. The promotion should have a dashboard, though it doesn’t look like it will reveal all that much, given that the rewards are all surprises.
This promotion is being offered in conjunction with Mastercard. It’s interesting that IHG fairly frequently offers promotions in conjunction with other companies, like the “Share Forever” promotion they offered in conjunction with Coca Cola earlier in the year.
I guess we’ll find out all the details of this promotion shortly. Given that this promotion is US-only, I would assume that this won’t be IHG’s primary winter promotion, but rather that it will be supplemental.
I do wonder who picks up the bill for these types of promotions. Presumably Mastercard is contributing something, though I can’t imagine there’s that much upside in it for them.