I sort of miss the days where airlines had creative promotions. It’s not necessarily just about how lucrative they are, but there’s something fun about an engaging promotion which gets members excited.
Copa ConnectMiles just announced a promotion which isn’t likely all that practical for non-Panama based flyers, but it’s still a fun promotion which I think is worth drawing some attention to.
Copa has expanded quite a bit over the past few years, and has added service to the following destinations:
2015: Belize (Belize), David (Panama), San Francisco and New Orleans (United States), Villahermosa and Puebla (Mexico)
2014: Santa Clara (Cuba), Georgetown (Guyana), Montreal (Canada), Fort Lauderdale (United States)
2013: Tampa and Boston (United States)
To try to get members on as many of these new routes as possible, Copa is offering tiered bonuses based on how many of their new routes you fly between October 1, 2015, and March 31, 2016. You can earn the following bonuses:
- 1,000 bonus miles when you fly to 1 destination
- 5,000 bonus miles when you fly to 3 destinations
- 20,000 bonus miles when you fly to 5 destinations
- 150,000 bonus miles when you fly 10 destinations
Registration is required prior to travel, though previously booked travel qualifies.
In practice this is an easy way to pick up an extra 1,000 bonus miles if you’d fly to one of those destinations anyway, or maybe 5,000-20,000 bonus miles if you’re a semi-frequent Copa flyer.
The 150,000 mile grand prize bonus is huge, though at the same time is definitely a challenge. You’d have to visit 10 of their 12 new destinations, which is quite a bit. At the same time that’s like earning 15,000 bonus miles per trip, which isn’t an insignificant amount.
For what it’s worth, the full terms of the promotion are as follows:
1. Exclusive offer for ConnectMiles Members. 2. The member must register for the promotion before 03/31/16 at 11:59 pm (CT). 3. Travel or travels must be completed before 03/31/16 at 11:59 pm (CT). 4. The promotion is valid only to flights taken after the registration. 5. Promotion applies only when flying Copa Airlines and Copa Airlines Colombia. 6. The bonus does not apply to credit points/miles to any other loyalty program. 7. The miles obtained with the bonus do not qualify for a preferential status (PreferProgram). 8. Each subscriber can only earn one bonus. In case the member travels to a number of destinations located between the ranges defined in above graph, the bonus of less mileage will apply. Example, if the member flies to 7 destinations, only the 5 destinations bonus will apply. 9. Not applicable to repeated flights to the same destination. 10. Only the destinations stated in this communication will qualify for this promotion. 11. Schedules and destinations are subject to change. 12. The bonus will be credited in your ConnectMiles account 4 to 6 weeks after the promotion ends. 13. Promotion subject to change without prior notice. Other restrictions may apply. 14. All ConnectMiles terms and conditions apply.
Copa ConnectMiles just launched earlier this year, so kudos to them for being innovative rather than just following the lead of the competition. I love promotions like this which get members engaged with potentially big rewards, even if this one would be tough to achieve all the way.
Am I the only one who loves promotions like this?