In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
UPDATE: This offer is expired. You can find the best current offers here.
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express
Since August 11, American Express has been offering increased sign-up bonuses on both the SPG AmEx Personal Card and SPG AmEx Business Card. This is a promotion American Express seems to offer once per year, whereby the sign-up bonus is increased from 25,000 Starpoints to 30,000 Starpoints. The details of these increased sign-up bonuses are as follows:
- For the SPG Personal AmEx, receive 30,000 bonus Starpoints upon spending $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of card membership
- For the SPG Business AmEx, receive 30,000 bonus Starpoints upon spending $5,000 on purchases within the first three months of card membership
The increased offer is especially exciting this year, as the timing coincides with both cards undergoing a refresh. Specifically, the changes on these cards are as follows:
- The elimination of foreign transaction fees
- Complimentary unlimited Boingo wifi
- Complimentary in-room premium internet access
- SPG Business AmEx members receiving lounge access at Sheraton properties worldwide
- The annual fee being raised by $30 per year, from $65 to $95 (the first year’s annual fee is $0, though)
Anyway, with great offers on both of these cards, one question I’ve often been asked is whether one can get approved for both the SPG Personal & Business Cards on the same day.
With American Express, keep in mind that in general you can’t have more than four charge cards and four credit cards at a given time (spread across business and personal cards), which is the first restriction to be aware of. There are people who report being approved for more cards than that, but that’s the general rule.
As far as being approved for both the SPG AmEx Personal Card and SPG AmEx Business Card in one day goes, you can absolutely apply for both cards in one day, and shouldn’t get an immediate denial for either card on account of having applied for two cards in one day. If you apply for both cards, there are two scenarios that are most likely to happen:
- You could get approved for both cards same day, given that one is a business card and one is a personal card
- You could have one application delayed a bit, in which case one card could be approved almost instantly, while the other one would automatically be processed a few days later
The point is, generally speaking there’s no issue with applying for both the SPG AmEx Personal Card and SPG AmEx Business Card in one day. They’re great offers, and there’s a chance you could get approved for both cards in a day. But if you don’t, the other application will just automatically be delayed a bit, and will then go through the standard approval process.
What has been your experience with getting approved for multiple American Express cards in a day?