Earlier today Hilton HHonors shared the details of their fall promotion, Triple Your Trip. Hilton HHonors isn’t the only program to announce the details of their fall 2015 promotion today.
Today Marriott Rewards has revealed their fall MegaBonus promotion, which is valid for stays between September 15, 2015 and January, 15 2016. This is the second MegaBonus promotion Marriott is offering this year — the first was valid for stays between February 1 and May 31, 2015.
Registration for the promotion is now open, and will remain open through November 15, 2015.
As is the norm with MegaBonus, different members are targeted for different versions of the promotion, so you’ll want to log into your Promotion Central to see what version of the offer you’re eligible for.
My version of MegaBonus is offering double Marriott Rewards points starting with my second stay, up to 20,000 bonus points. Though there are several versions of the promotion, which will vary based on your status, stay patterns, etc.
Marriott offers 5-10 base points per dollar spent (10x points per dollar at most brands, and then 5x points per dollar at Residence Inn and TownPlace Suites).
That means through my version of the promotion you’d earn 10-20 points per dollar spent. That’s not a bad return, though hardly a reason to go out of your way to stay at a Marriott property. Especially since the promotion only kicks in starting with your second stay, and in my case, is capped at 20,000 points. That means the promotion is only useful for the first $2,000 I spend with Marriott during the promo period (or $4,000 at some of their limited service properties).
For reference, here’s the Marriott Rewards free night award chart:
As you can see, 20,000 points would be enough for one free night at a Category 4 property.
MegaBonus sure isn’t what it once was. Back in the day the MegaBonus promotion would offer a Category 1-4 free night certificate after every two paid stays. However, the past two years the promotion has kept the name, though hasn’t typically included the option to earn free night certificates.
Here are the full terms of the promotion:
- *A “stay” is defined as consecutive nights spent at the same hotel, regardless of check-in/check-out activity.
- Registration is required.
- Marriott Rewards® members who register for this promotion by November 15, 2015, will earn double points starting with their second paid stay — up to 20,000 bonus points for stays made between September 15, 2015, and January 15, 2016, at participating Marriott® properties.
- The member receiving this offer has been specifically targeted and the offer is not transferable.
- Bonus points will be awarded to the member’s account within 3-5 business days after the qualifying stay.
- Awards are not transferable and may not be given as a gift.
- Nights spent while redeeming an award are not eligible for credit and Marriott Vacation Club® owner-occupied weeks are not eligible for credit.
- Only one room per hotel is counted toward a member’s nights or stay.
- Members electing to earn miles are not eligible for this promotion.
- Participating brands include EDITION®, JW Marriott®, Autograph Collection® Hotels, Renaissance® Hotels, Marriott Hotels®, Marriott Vacation Club, Gaylord Hotels®, AC Hotels by Marriott®, Courtyard by Marriott®, Residence Inn by Marriott®, SpringHill Suites by Marriott®, Fairfield Inn & Suites by Marriott®, TownePlace Suites by Marriott®, Moxy HotelsSM and Protea HotelsSM.
- Stays at our exclusive luxury hotel partner, The Ritz-Carlton®, will count toward achievement.
- Rooms booked through most third party online retailers and select travel agency bookings are ineligible to earn points.
- All Marriott Rewards program terms and conditions apply.
- See www.marriott.com/rewards/terms/earning.mi for more information. Visit MarriottRewards.com/MegaBonus2015 or call 888-MARRIOTT (888-627-7468) for complete details.
Ultimately this promotion is better than nothing, though it’s hardly worth going out of your way to stay at a Marriott property to take advantage of this promotion. Hilton’s Triple Your Trip promotion is considerably more generous, given that you start earning bonus points with your first stay, not to mention that there’s no cap to the number of bonus points you can earn.
Hopefully others were targeted for a better MegaBonus promotion than I was.
What version of Marriott’s MegaBonus promotion did you get, and what do you make of it?