In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
UPDATE: This offer is expired. You can find the best current offers here.
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express
- The elimination of foreign transaction fees
- Complimentary unlimited Boingo wifi
- Complimentary in-room premium internet access
- Sheraton club lounge access (for those with the SPG Business AmEx)
- The annual fee being raised by $30 per year, from $65 to $95 (the first year’s annual fee is $0, though)
Receive club lounge access at Sheratons with the SPG Business AmEx
Not only do the card changes kick in today, but Starwood is also offering an increased sign-up bonus on both cards through September 14, 2015. American Express seems to offer this increased bonus once per year. Here are the details of the increased offers:
- For the SPG Personal AmEx, receive 30,000 bonus Starpoints® upon spending $3,000 on purchases within the first three months of card membership
- For the SPG Business AmEx, receive 30,000 bonus Starpoints® upon spending $5,000 on purchases within the first three months of card membership
This represents an increase of 5,000 Starpoints, given that the sign-up bonus is usually 25,000 Starpoints. I don’t recall ever seeing a higher sign-up bonus on the card, for what it’s worth.
Furthermore, earlier in the year the sign-up bonus on the personal version of the card was changed from being after $5,000 of spend to being after $3,000 of spend. So this is also the lowest minimum spend requirement we’ve seen for the increased sign-up bonus on the personal card (meanwhile on the business version of the card, it continues to be $5,000).
To me Starpoints are the single most valuable points currency out there — I value Starpoints at 2.2 cents each. So the 30,000 point sign-up bonus is worth $660 to me. While this isn’t really a “mega” sign-up bonus, it’s still a very nice sign-up bonus, and as good as it gets on this card.
There are many reasons I hold onto both the SPG Personal AmEx and SPG Business AmEx. One of the reasons is because each card offers two elite qualifying stays and five elite qualifying nights towards status annually. That means just for having both cards I receive four elite qualifying stays and 10 elite qualifying nights towards status each year, which is huge.
It’s also worth noting that if you’re already a cardmember then you can possibly refer a friend to these cards, and earn a 5,000 point referral bonus. This may be targeted, so you’ll want to log into your American Express account to be sure you’re eligible.
The increased sign-up bonus on the SPG Personal AmEx and SPG Business AmEx is as good as it gets. It’s exciting to see an increased sign-up bonus that coincides with the card refresh, which also happened today.
30,000 Starpoints with the new benefits, lower minimum spend, and waived first year annual fee is tough to beat. You have about a month to take advantage of this offer.
Do you plan on applying for either/both of these cards with the increased sign-up bonus?