As I first wrote about in early June, the SPG AmEx Cards — both the Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express and Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express — will be undergoing a refresh as of August 11, 2015.
As I explained at the time, the changes to the cards include the following:
- The annual fee being raised by $30 per year, from $65 to $95
- The elimination of foreign transaction fees
- Complimentary unlimited Boingo wifi
- Complimentary in-room premium internet access
- Sheraton club lounge access (for those with the business version of the card only)
What hasn’t been revealed until now is the actual physical refresh the cards are going through. As a reminder, here’s what the cards currently look like:
I actually think the current cards are pretty stylish to begin with, at least when you consider that the design has been around for a long time.
Personally I love it, as I think it nicely reflects the Starwood brand and certainly stands out. That being said, I realize purple might not be everyone’s color.
As a reminder, the sign-up bonuses on the cards are presently as follows:
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Credit Card from American Express
- Earn 25,000 bonus Starpoints® after you use your new card to make $3,000 in purchases within the first 3 months
- Starwood Preferred Guest® Business Credit Card from American Express
- 10,000 Starpoints® after the first purchase, 15,000 additional Starpoints after spending $5,000 within six months
Historically American Express has sometimes offered increased sign-up bonuses on the cards in August (leading up to Labor Day), though it remains to be seen whether that increased offer will return this year. It’s something to keep in mind if you’re considering applying, though.
What do you make of the new card design on the SPG AmEx Cards?