For a long time Hyatt offered what was arguably the most generous hotel status challenge, with their Hyatt Diamond Challenge.
Hyatt’s previously very generous Diamond Challenge
Basically if you could prove any status with another hotel chain you’d immediately receive Diamond status, along with four confirmed Diamond Suite Upgrade Awards.
If you stayed 12 nights within 60 days you’d get to keep Diamond status for the rest of the program year. Plus they’d give you 1,000 bonus points for each of the first six nights you stayed during the promotion period.
Not surprisingly, the opportunity was ripe for abuse, whereby people just used it for the confirmed suite upgrades. So in November 2014, Hyatt discontinued the Diamond Challenge, before bringing back an updated version for 2015.
Hyatt’s Elite Tier Offer for 2015
Last December I wrote about how Hyatt Gold Passport was apparently bringing back a different version of the Diamond Challenge. At the time I had reason to believe it would be brought back in early 2015, though it was initially only brought back as a targeted offer, which only those working in sales offices at hotels could enroll people in. In other words, it wasn’t publicly available.
The Hyatt Gold Passport Elite Tier Offer became publicly available in June. Here’s the official information I had at the time:
The Elite Tier Offer continues to be a sales tool in which Hyatt colleagues provide a form to eligible clients in order to experience the benefits of elite Hyatt Gold Passport membership. However, members who call the Hyatt Global Contact Centers and request the elite offer will also be able to receive it.
Elite Tier Offer:
- There is not a Diamond Trial period. Members have to complete the 12-night requirement before receiving Diamond status.
- No competitive tier statement is required to qualify for Diamond fast track offer.
- New and current base members can register to earn trial Platinum status and if they achieve 6 nights during their 60 day promotional period they will earn Platinum until 2/2017. The member will also be automatically registered to receive Diamond status through 2/2017 if they complete another 6 nights, for a total of 12 nights, during their 60 day promotional period.
- Platinum members can be registered to receive Diamond status until 2/2017 if they complete 12 nights in 60 days.
- Offer registration valid June 1, 2015 through April 30, 2016.
I thought this Elite Tier Offer was much more reasonable, given you still got Diamond status if you stayed 12 nights in 60 days. And there were certainly ways to leverage this offer towards getting Hyatt Diamond status for a minimal cost.
Registration closing for Elite Tier Offer
The promotion was originally intended to be available for registration through April 30, 2016.
However, Hyatt will be ending registration for the Elite Tier Offer on July 31, 2015.
According to Hyatt, this is due to some technical upgrades to their loyalty management system. They do expect the offer will return “in the near future,” and you can still register by July 31st to complete stays within 60 days.
If you were planning on signing up for the Hyatt Elite Tier Offer in the near future, you’ll want to do so in the next couple of days. I’d take Hyatt’s explanation at face value here — I don’t think they’re permanently suspending it, and do believe it’ll be back eventually. The question is whether “eventually” is a week, or a month, or more.
Do you plan on enrolling in Hyatt’s Elite Tier Offer?