Through 11:59PM CT on Thursday, July 30, 2015, United is offering a “Flash Sale” on the purchase of MileagePlus miles.
The bonus is targeted, with two different versions that I’ve seen:
- Buy miles now and save 35%
- Buy miles and earn 50% more
With the 35% discount you’re capped at buying 100,000 United MileagePlus miles, so you’re looking at a purchase price of ~2.45 cents per mile. With the 50% bonus you can still only purchase 100,000 United MileagePlus miles, but then receive the 50,000 mile bonus, for a purchase price of ~2.33 cents per mile.
On paper that’s definitely not a good deal. I value United miles at ~1.4 cents a piece, and there are typically far lest costly ways to accrue miles.
That being said, everyone has to do the math on these promotions for themselves. If you’re 25,000 miles short of an aspirational award it could make sense to purchase miles, and if that’s the case you might as well take advantage of a promotion like this.
Lastly, it’s worth noting that United processes mileage purchases directly, so purchasing miles through this promotion would qualify as airfare spend for the purposes of your credit card.
Here are the full offer details:
- Promotional offer valid until 11:59 p.m. CT (Chicago local time) on July 30, 2015
- Miles are available in increments of 1,000 up to a maximum of 100,000 miles
- Bonus Miles will be credited to the recipient’s account when the transaction is complete
- Purchase up to 150,000 miles per account per calendar year
- Credit card will be billed immediately upon purchase
- Mileage rates and other fees and offer terms are subject to change
- Allow 48 hours for miles to process and post to your MileagePlus account
- Miles are nonrefundable
- Purchased miles do not count toward MileagePlus Premier® status
- All MileagePlus Program Rules and terms and conditions apply
- GST/HST is charged to Canadian residents
- Powered by Points to purchase United MileagePlus miles. Transaction will appear as ‘Points United Miles’
Do you plan on purchasing United MileagePlus miles through this promotion?