In the interest of full disclosure, One Mile At A Time earns a referral bonus for anyone that’s approved through some of the below links. These are the best publicly available offers that we have found for each card. Please check out our advertiser policy for further details about the partners we work with. Thanks for your support!
I’ve written extensively about the Citi Prestige Card. I’d argue it offers the all around most compelling value proposition of any card at the moment, between the sign-up bonus, perks, and return on everyday spend.
The card has a $450 annual fee, though has so many benefits which more than justify the annual fee, in my opinion. Among other things, these include:
- A sign-up bonus of 40,000 ThankYou Rewards points after spending $4,000 on the card within the first three months — those points can be transferred to one of their airline transfer partners, or be redeemed towards travel on any airline
- A $250 annual airline credit (with your first year’s annual fee you actually get two of those — that’s $500 of airline credits with your first year’s $450 annual fee)
- A fourth night free hotel benefit
- The most comprehensive Priority Pass membership offered by any card
- A $100 Global Entry fee credit
But for me the single most lucrative benefit of the card has been the fourth night free hotel benefit. I was skeptical of the benefit when I first applied for the card — after all, if it sounds too good to be true, it usually is. But I’ve now tried it on four stays, and have already saved about ~$1,000. And that’s just in my first few months of card membership.
For those of you not familiar with the benefit, here are posts I’ve written about it, which explain the rules, process for booking, etc.:
- Citi Prestige Card Fourth Night Free Hotel Benefit Details
- My Experience Using The Citi Prestige Fourth Night Free Benefit
- Is The Citi Prestige Fourth Night Free Hotel Benefit A Gimmick?
- Which Hotels Are Eligible For Citi Prestige 4th Night Free Hotel Benefit?
The way the benefit works is that you actually pay for the entire stay at check-out (or on a pre-paid rate, in advance), and then later receive a statement credit for the cost of the fourth night. That’s a great system, since it means you earn elite qualifying stays/nights/points with the loyalty program for the full amount spent.
In mid-July I provided an update on how long it takes for the hotel credit to post to the Citi Prestige Card. The terms state that statement credits will post within 1-2 billing cycles after check-out.
At the time I provided two data points, though now all four of my statement credits have posted, so I figured I’d provide a further update. I’ve heard some people say they had issues with it posting, so I wanted to report that wasn’t the case so far.
Here’s a summary of the time that the four stays were charged to my Citi Prestige Card, and then when the credit actually posted to my account:
- Hotel stay charged June 2, credit posted to my account July 11
- Hotel stay charged June 9, credit posted to my account July 11
- Hotel stay charged June 16, credit posted to my account July 16
- Hotel stay charged June 21, credit posted to my account July 17
As you can see, the Citi Prestige Card fourth night free credit is far from instant, but does seem to pretty consistently post within a month or so of the date the stay is charged.
More importantly than the timing, I’m happy to see that the credit has been posting consistently without needing to call/follow up.
The Citi Prestige Card fourth night free benefit really is a huge perk, and for me the single most valuable benefit of this card. Being able to get a fourth night free on the published rate from a hotel is huge, and has sort of changed how I book hotels. I used to often spend three nights at a time in hotels, but with a fourth night free, why not go ahead and extend the stay a bit?
Do you have the Citi Prestige Card? If so, have you used the fourth night free benefit yet?